new member looking to buy a boxster

hey all!

New around here,

I am looking at buying my gf a boxster in the near future so thought I would pop over and see what the deal is with them. I currently drive and track supras so know a bit about cars but have never owned a porsche or even looked to closely at them.

A couple of questions:

Is there a thread about buying used boxsters? I had a look but couldn't see anything ???

What sort of things should I look out for with them? I have heard about the IMS problems but it doesn't seem to be something that you can pick up on unless you pull the engine so I guess it is a case of pray for the best and change the oil regularly.

I am looking at spending around the 25k mark on one, so looking at 97-2002 ones (car sales), is it even worth it or should I stick to looking at s2000's (originally looking at them but she likes the boxsters more)?

Are there any places worth going to to have a look at boxsters? (dealers etc)

Are there any other websites for info?

cheers guys

I can only fully endorse the Boxster, I have had a 2001 S for over 4 years now and she has 138 on the clock. No real problems, as long as you keep the services up to them. They handle supurbly and although you will get the odd hoon asking if it is your hairdressers car it is worth jumping onto one. S2000 also a great car in my opinion, high revving little suckers. But for re sale and reliabilty I would go with the Boxster. I also looked at the HONDAS but glad I ended up with mine.

The thread Vas has supplied is an excellent one and has helped me out with the odd little problem over the years.

You should pick one up for the price your looking at, but you may have to spend a bit more for a well loved one.

Definitely suggest you get it checked over before paying the money though

Good luck with it, hawkeye, great cars.

Archived