The Risky Business 928

tazzieman

An updated version of a story familiar to some

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/02/03/risky-business-tom-cruise-porsche-928-history/

The 928 was chosen for its part in the film not by a prop-master or picture car expert as many Hollywood vehicles are, but by the screenwriter/director, Paul Brickman, who had grown up in the affluent Chicago suburb of Highland Park where Risky Business is set. Brickman chose the car because it was exotic, but not unobtainable, something that a well-to-do suburban family man—the father of Tom Cruise's Dickensian-named character Joel Goodsen (Good Son, get it?)—could have daily-driven to work in the city.

"Paul Brickman said that they considered a 911, but it was 'too mundane,' that was the word he used," says Lewis Johnsen, a 46 year-old Colorado law enforcement officer. Johnsen is a former owner of the hero car driven in the movie, and interviewed Brickman for a documentary he attempted to make about the relationship between the Porsche and the film, The Quest for RB928. "He just decided on that car."

As surprising as the 928s inclusion in Risky Business, is the model's recent rise in collectability. Long forsaken as the brand's overly-complex, overreaching, white elephant, as the tide of Porsche values rises, apparently even formerly maligned flagships are lifted. 

I never maligned it.

An old mate bumped into me whilst I was in the GTS on Friday, first words to come out of his mouth; "Risky Business".  Grrrr.

Who'd want a grey elephant anyway, they're all grey.

Archived