2007 Cayenne S overheating

Grungle

Just a quick explanation of an issue/solution in case someone comes across this issue, as it had me scratching my head for a while.

I've had my Cayenne S (with the 4.8L V8) for a couple of years. No major problems in that time.

In the couple of weeks before Christmas I noticed it was getting hot at the top of the 3km long steep hill I need to drive up to get home. temp on the gauge was getting up to about 3/4. After I got over the hill and coasted down the other side the temp would drop back to 1/2, like usual. I notice the engine bay fan is on after I turn the car off.

Cut to Christmas Eve. I'm driving back from somewhere up the hill, not looking at the temp gauge, and when I get home I notice a big pool of coolant under the car, and a trail leading up my driveway. Thankfully its just the overflow/expansion tank, but hell, it's xmas eve! So I order one that night from the US, and it arrives mid-way through Jan.

I fit it, refill it and go for a drive. Seems ok, temp stays on about 1/2. As I find out later, I just didn't drive it far enough for the thermostat to open (or not open, as I was about to find out)...

I drive it to and from work for a week in HOT weather (40+ days) and notice the temp is again creeping above the half way point. The fans are activating, but the engine bay fan is still on when I turn it off. It never used to do that. On the Friday the temp takes off, heading for the red zone, so in 40 degree weather, in traffic, I've got the windows down and heater on full blast. I figure it's a bleeding problem, so I book it in to get checked out.

Turns out it was a sticky thermostat. Got that replaced (as well as the water pump and pulley) and life is good again. Temp gauge sits just below half, regardless of the hill. The mech said the coolant was boiling in the block, but the radiator was cool. I guess the thermostat opened eventually (or was forced open), but it wasn't opening enough to keep the temperature from running away.

Archived