PCNSW Motorkhana Round 1 ,Last Century outdated Front Engined Porsche does well

Buchanan Automotive

Today , Eastern Creek ( Sydney Motorsport Park ) , round 1 of the Porsche Club NSW Motorkhana Championship for 2017 , it wasn't the first Motorkhana the club has run this year , its just the first one to score points in for the Motorkhana Championship & the Drivers Championship ( the first event was a practice event )

Fine weather , Big turnout of this century & last century Porsche sports cars ( booked out ) , Motorkhana is a skid pan event a bit like the USA Autocross but there are differences , its a timed event , and there are usually 4 maps , meaning the witches hats are arranged into 4 different courses throughout the day , sometimes the morning sessions are in the dry & the afternoon sessions are in the wet ( the large skid pan recirculation taps are turned on ) or just wet all day long

Its a difficult  car control discipline to master & a very good memory is essential if you want to be at the pointy end of the competition at the end of the day  ( memorising the direction around the course & between the witches hats & the direction one has to go around the hats , be it clock wise or anti clockwise  and all done at speed , its all quite good fun , but I am complete crap at it my self , I get lost half way through the sea of witches hats but not Sean Buchanan in his 1986 3.0L 16V  E85  951 

Sean rang me around 4.30 or so and gave me a quick run down on the results during the day 

Sean in his 1986  (31 year old ) Non ABS 951   1st outright

James Phillis ( I think ? ) in his 993 RS replica    2nd outright ( there is a few of these in the club , same colour etc )

Andrew Hibbard         in his Cayman GTS          3rd outright ( PDK and ABS and traction control is a great benefit in Motorkhana )

To be in the first 2 or 3 places you can not make any mistakes , no hitting cones & no going the wrong way & you have to be the fastest at doing this , you can go as slow as you like and not make mistakes , but you will end up mid field at 25 position or something , which is quite OK  I am just pointing out how hard is  to get into the top three spots 

The main thing is to have fun & learn car control with like minded car enthusiasts 

Many Thanks to all the PCNSW volunteers who make it all happen , great bunch of people 

Regards

Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive

Archived