996 Turbo with 19 Inch Wheels

Kabooby

Hi Everyone,

I have a 996 Turbo with 19 Inch wheels. I am struggling to find a matching set of tyres. Fronts aren't an issue but finding rears in 315/25/19 is tough. Current tyres are close to 10 years old and I want to replace them. I want to stick with these sizes to avoid any AWD, Viscous issues.

Currently have 

Front Michelin 235/35/19

Rear Falken 315/25/19

Has anyone else been able to find anything local or have they imported themselves? There isn't even a lot of options overseas for this size.

Hi Everyone,

I have a 996 Turbo with 19 Inch wheels. I am struggling to find a matching set of tyres. Fronts aren't an issue but finding rears in 315/25/19 is tough. Current tyres are close to 10 years old and I want to replace them. I want to stick with these sizes to avoid any AWD, Viscous issues.

Currently have 

Front Michelin 235/35/19

Rear Falken 315/25/19

Has anyone else been able to find anything local or have they imported themselves? There isn't even a lot of options overseas for this size.

May I suggest as an alternative to this forum, jump onto 6speedonline (US forum) and SEARCH on the 996 Turbo forum page and then the go to the tirerack website as a first port of call to see if they stock the size / brand for baseline pricing.  Should find a few pics and threads on 19"inch setups.

I haven't heard good reviews on the Toyo and I don't think I can get a matching set. Continental SC6 can be imported but at this stage not available locally.

TOYO
PROXES T1R
Ultra High Performance Summer

• Size: 315/25ZR19 98Y RF
  • Sidewall Style: Blackwall

TOYO
PROXES T1R
Ultra High Performance Summer

• Size: 235/35ZR19 91Y RF
  • Sidewall Style: Blackwall
  • UTQG: 280 A A
  • Qty:
    Per Tire:

So does that mean you want 98Y RF all around in relation to your matching set comment??

I haven't heard good reviews on the Toyo and I don't think I can get a matching set. Continental SC6 can be imported but at this stage not available locally.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/405283-tire-choices-19-rims.html

I liked the comment that some running 19''s in general on certain sizing setup don't realize they have an issue until its late re: front diff. 

Appears you answered your own question, but its a case of can't have your cake and eat it (assuming Nitto's are knotch down from Toyo's)  eg import vs buying local and not on your lonesome their eg US guys are on the same boat

No. I haven't had much luck finding them. Even the Toyo website doesn't list the 315 anymore and I have heard they aren't making them anymore. 

http://toyotires.com.au/tyres/passenger-car-tyres/item/5-proxes-t1r

I have also searched Tyre Rack and all US forums.

There seams to be two camps.

One who remove 4wd and run 305/30/19 rears. This is reported to stuff the viscous clutch, and the second source OEM 18" wheels.

I just spent a lot of money replacing the viscous so I don't want to do that again. Might see if someone wants to swap some 18" for 19" rims, lol.

No. I haven't had much luck finding them. Even the Toyo website doesn't list the 315 anymore and I have heard they aren't making them anymore. 

Tirerack listed both, but listing and ordering / in stock  are two different animals.

Just a view, but the combination of wanting to buy locally,  having a matching set up to a quality  satisifies your requirements based on what you are hearing for a 19inch setup with sizing that minimizes the front diff going south appears to be a stretch. Also appears you already had / have the path forward, eg Need to import some Continental SC6's but perhaps reluctant to spend the cash.  Whats you view on the oz dollar and the cross rates going forward?

No real issue with the dollar. Just seeing if anyone in Aus has had the same issue and how/if they resolved it.

I am seriously considering going with an 18" set up. Plenty of options for tyres and by some reviews the car just handles better.

I have also searched Tyre Rack and all US forums.

There seams to be two camps.

One who remove 4wd and run 305/30/19 rears. This is reported to stuff the viscous clutch, and the second source OEM 18" wheels.

I just spent a lot of money replacing the viscous so I don't want to do that again. Might see if someone wants to swap some 18" for 19" rims, lol.

Lol, I got some advice of a wise tuner not to stray too far away from factory parts because of unintended consequences based on his experience.  I'm in the second 18" OEM wheel camp

I'm no fan of the 4x4 factory look on stock rims.  I have the techno sport stock rims with P zeros and wanst a fan initially. I  was searching for a set of hollow turbo twists at a reasonable price for a while and picked up a set.   Even the correct tyres  sizing on the 18's oem's  are limited in options as I see it .  eg ps2's or p zero's for me.   I will try and stick with current version of the PS2's.(hard to getting a matching set eg n3 / n4 when my P zero's go.  The spare set of hollows have semi slick yoki;s on them  and I'm not selling lol ( may be dust collectors in their pacakaging for the next 10 years)

That said, its getting costly to sort out the ride height. A set  of 996 gt3 adjustable control arms with shims  is over a 1.5 multiplier on a set of ps2's from Tempe and I'm resigned to the fact the front chin spoiler is going to be a consumable

Have fun getting a set of OEM hollows (go series 2 hollows) in good nick (no repainting)  / not stupid money , but it would be my recommendation.  I would jump all over a set if  available locally even if needed to have them refinished / painted   That said, you will probably pick up a set next week cheap.  lol

I already have adjustable coilovers :)

Might start looking for some 18" rims. Don't have to be OEM. My 19" are techart anyway.

I agree with not straying to far from original. No one really knows the possible issues till it happens.

For anyone Interested, my local Tyre shop has managed to order a matching set of Continental Sport Contact 6 tyres from overseas.

Front 235/35/19

Rear 315/25/19

Should have them in a few weeks :)

Only Toyo available were a mismatched set.

Archived