928 radio/ stereo bracket

ANF

While I await the necessary items to remove my engine I had a look into installing my new stereo, and having removed my old unit there is nothing to fix the new one to! The new unit has a standard din bracket that fits around the front of the unit and it just clips in, but there is nothing to fix this to...

I have also seen online a bracket that looks to fix to the rear of the unit.

Has anyone installed a new head unit into an 83 or similar vintage 928?

Any helpful advice appreciated! :)

(the old unit was the post type and was fixed in with a plate over the front and "prongs" the other side, amazing that it felt secure.. not suitable for the new unit)

The cradle with the stereo should slot in and the small tabs in the cradle will secure it from moving around; fit a bracket to the rear of the unit with a metal strap secureed to the drivetrain tunnel. You can get these metal straps at Bunnings for a few dollars and bend them to the angle you need

Website just for sample images

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TPG-Accele-Car-Audio-Install-Black-Mending-Mounting-Plates-Brackets-8-x1-3/222580913568?_trkparms=ao%3D1%26asc%3D20170105155410%26meid%3D082838dec75d45a5a26e0ba8531229c3%26pid%3D100705%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26&_trksid=p2045573.c100705.m4780

Thanks Dave,

I thought there may have been something at the front to "hook" into, I will bend the tabs to grip on the console. I need to widen the hole a bit to fit the unit in. Metal strip should not be too hard to fab :Beer:

Thanks again, for the tip and the unit :)

Archived