Carpet Glue Removal

tungatina64

I have had some modifications done to the rear interior of my car after having the half cage put in. Subsequently some of the carpet was removed exposing some of the overlaps which were glues together. As a result some of the remaining black carpet has that light brown glue/ adhesive stuck/ dried on it.

Does anyone have any hints or clever ideas to remove it without taking the Colour out of the carpet?

This is a tough one. I would normally recommend 3M-100 Adhesive cleaner though I'm uncertain as to the effect it would have on the dye in the carpet. Heating the glue with a hair dryer or heat gun can help soften it but be careful not to melt the carpet.

If you want to disguise the light brown glue you may be able to colour it with a permanent marker!!!!

If you want to go the 3M route but find it difficult to source a small quantity to test/try them PM me. Should be able to help.

Try some contact cleaner on a rag - first try it on an inconspicuous bit of the carpet but i think it should be ok.

If its good then you could probably soak the whole area with it if you need to - but i think a bit on a rag should do..

I´ve soaked shirts, jumpers, jackets, carpets etc with it to clean Synthetic oil and hydraulic fluid out and also found it cleans spray contact adhesive very well.

Make sure you get the solvent type and not the oil type for contact and switch gear (lube for mechanical switch gear. eg points).

Something like this http://www.lubricantsupplies.co.uk/manufacturer/ambersil-products/ambertron-contact-cleaner-x-400ml-box-of-12.html

Archived