Trip Meter Help 911-SC '78

Doish13

Ok so I accidentally did what should apparently never be done - I reset my Trip Meter on my dash while moving after filling up at the pump. Just as I've been warned this has now rendered the trip meter useless which I still find hard to comprehend something could be so badly designed from the factory.

Looked at the forum for a fix and several threads relate to a speedo replacement which hopefully is not what I need.

Anyone have experience with this mindless gaff? Hoping it's something I can fix myself. The unit now operates in the hundred meter range however once hitting a km it clicks however does not turn over. Speedo and Odo operate normally.

Resetting the trip meter on the move is a straight no no.

I have no affiliation, but Wayne Dempsey's book "101 projects for your Porsche 911" covers speedo removal and gear replacement under Projects 88 and 89 if you really want to do the repair yourself..

The geasr may be available at Pelican.

I took the easy way out when i had a similar problem, and had it repaired at a local instrument shop at a cost of about $130. That seemed a lot easier than me doing it.

The unit is a VDO, and is quite common, so any competent shop should be able to repair it.

Ken

Thanks Ken - I do have that book and it must be holding a door open somewhere so best I find it.

Will prob take it in for professional help ... Just such a pain in the ass and silly error. Was it engineers this way or is it just because it's old as seem ridiculous.

Archived