First Porsche suggestions

qstoria

G'day there,

I'm looking for various input, suggestions, opinions etc etc from fellow members, (good and bad of course) Yes, it is another one of those 'First Porsche' threads so please bear with me :)

996 - 3.4L

986 - Boxster S

987 Boxster S

3.2 Carrera

Which would you guys go for? There are various examples of each of these currently for sale in my price range so I would love to hear from owners of each on their thoughts. I've read about the IMS issues with the 996 and 986 and am aware that preventative maintenance is a good idea if it has not already been carried out. I also have no issue at all with the 80's cars being as old as they. They have a style which most new cars these days don't even come close to in my opinion!

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

Aside from your budget, what are you looking to use the car for? Daily drive, Sunday drive, club work - all have their own factors regarding pros/cons.

Cheers, Hugh. (fresh name!)

Hi Hugh, Aside from your budget, what are you looking to use the car for? Daily drive, Sunday drive, club work - all have their own factors regarding pros/cons. Cheers, Hugh. (fresh name!)

About time I come across another Hugh! At this stage it would be my only car but I definitely don't use a car every day. More for Sunday driving and enjoying getting out of Sydney as I have friends and relatives that are out of town. Ideally I would love to have something that I could take to a track day here and there though so I was leaning towards a 3.2 but the comfort of a newer Boxsters or the 3.4L 996's is appealing in its own right.

If its 50k and you have a daily driver. Look for an SC with a bit of money left over for a clean up.

Vas thanks for the reply. I won't have another car but did do some reading and research on the SC models. I didn't include them when narrowing my options down simply because I prefer the 3.2 from that era. If you have any suggestions or tips on the SC though then I would love to hear them.

Nick you're probably right when you say that there needs to be an ongoing thread where people can come in and out of and ask these questions. Mods, maybe this can be the last one..? :D

see here, Aussie delivered

http://www.carsales....ock&sort=~Price

the interior is not to my taste, but thats alot of car for that $$ IMO

Must admit that I didn't even consider the word 'turbo' in a search for my first Porsche but you have brought something different to the table J.J . I'd need at least 7k off the price that to live with the blue though!

I see Vas is a 930 owner, are there many more on this forum that would like to chime in on a turbo as a first Porsche?

I would not buy a 930 as a daily driver.

Not many good 930s for under $70k.

The one JJ found looks ok for a weekend car.

If its a daily driver in that price range, look at a late mod water cooled car.

930s are a great "old" car.

Best weekend old Porsche you can get. IMO :)

Archived