J Tubes

Merv

My heat exchangers (Australian RHD car) are OK but the J Tubes have seen better days and it seems sensible to replace them.  The ones on Stoddart seem fine https://www.stoddard.com/pcg21190100.html , but very expensive for the complete units (assuming they fit).  I was thinking that I could remove the existing J Tubes and have the pipes replaced locally using the existing rear flange to the motor) after cutting the old ones near the exchangers and slipping them off the exchangers.

Has anyone done this?  Or is there another alternative?.  

The flange is the main issue Merv, but I guess if you were getting some cut and shut work done it would be easy enough to swap out?

Let me know as I don't need that set and would be happy to donate them.

Actually Chris it is only the RHS that is a problem on my car as the LHS is really good.  On the RHS, someone in the past has cut from the very base of the J Tube where it enters the heat exchanger and welded on another straight section of pipe to the muffler.  There are two small holes at the dodgy joining point at the heat exchanger.  It really does need a new J tube on that side. If it wasn't cut so close to the entry to the heat exchanger,  I could do the job again, properly, using your section of straight pipe.  I 'could' also use yours and re-weld the existing flange on to it, but the angles are so critical and that worries me.  Worth a try!  let me know the costs involved please Chris.

Thanks again Chris.  I might have to buy the whole shebang from Pelican (Dansk) as the existing heat exchangers are seam welded and would be a pain to split, even if I could get new tubes fabricated.  I only hope the horror stories about Dansk exhaust parts are not true!