997.1 C2 Man - gear oil

jm997c2

Different gearbox, but as far as I know the Aisin in the 997.1 takes the same GL4 75W-90 as the Getrag G96/01 in my 996.2.  Do your own due diligence to confirm, that's what I did before changing the oil in mine - trawled the forums to find comments by people who had dome it previously in the same gearbox.  There was plenty of love for the Motul 300.  To note, you need to know if you have a limited slip diff and buy the oil accordingly, since it is shared with the differential and they make different oils to suit.

I do not have an LSD so I used Motul Gear 300 75W-90 from here:

https://clickableautomotive.com.au/motul-gear-300-75w90-1l.html

There is also a perfectly valid argument that says go to your dealer and buy genuine oil.  There is only around 3l and it doesn't need to be changed all that often so the difference in price is fairly unimportant.  Plus, they should be able to provide you the correct oil per your VIN, so no guesswork.

I am super-happy with the Motul, much smoother shifts especially from cold.  But I am working on the assumption that the oil I changed out was original and as such had done a lot of work so fresh genuine oil may well have delivered a similar improvement.

HTH

5 hours ago, st3ve said:

Different gearbox, but as far as I know the Aisin in the 997.1 takes the same GL4 75W-90 as the Getrag G96/01 in my 996.2.  Do your own due diligence to confirm, that's what I did before changing the oil in mine - trawled the forums to find comments by people who had dome it previously in the same gearbox.  There was plenty of love for the Motul 300.  To note, you need to know if you have a limited slip diff and buy the oil accordingly, since it is shared with the differential and they make different oils to suit.

I do not have an LSD so I used Motul Gear 300 75W-90 from here:

https://clickableautomotive.com.au/motul-gear-300-75w90-1l.html

There is also a perfectly valid argument that says go to your dealer and buy genuine oil.  There is only around 3l and it doesn't need to be changed all that often so the difference in price is fairly unimportant.  Plus, they should be able to provide you the correct oil per your VIN, so no guesswork.

I am super-happy with the Motul, much smoother shifts especially from cold.  But I am working on the assumption that the oil I changed out was original and as such had done a lot of work so fresh genuine oil may well have delivered a similar improvement.

HTH

Thanks Steve.  Well noted mate.  If I am not mistaken, wouldn't the gearbox use the same fluid for lsd / non lsd differentials? 

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2020 at 18:37, Stephen Tinker said:

^^^ as st3 says ^^^

The Motul Gear is an excellent choice - I used it in my 986 Boxster S and GT3 gearbox without an issue for over +/ - 75,000km.

G'day Stephen,

So i went with the motul gear 300.  Its excellent.  Very happy indeed.  

Cheers and thanks.