993 OBD SCANNER

WB997.2GTS

I have a Durametric Pro - Option 1.

Also note that the 1995 models of the 993 could have had the old round connector and also the newer OBD-II connector. My 1995 has the newer OBD-II connector but it is OBD-I Certified. So if you are hooking up an OBD-II diagnostic tool, it will not work.

Vehicle Emission Control Information Label.JPG

1995 Porsche Carrera 993 Diagnostic Connector.JPG

Thanks Dan, I have been given a few tips by IXLR8 and need to try those with my existing scanners. What has come to light is that the CAN protocols are the same as early Chrysler and will try connecting with my Autel scanner and Chrysler adaptor.. I would prefer the Pro version as i have 3 Porsche's and quote often tinker with a few mates cars .If anybody in Sydney has the pro version Durametric and would like to try and connect to my ECU it would be greatly appreciated.

Warren

10 hours ago, WB997.2GTS said:

What has come to light is that the CAN protocols are the same as early Chrysler and will try connecting with my Autel scanner and Chrysler adaptor. I would prefer the Pro version as i have 3 Porsche's and quote often tinker with a few mates cars.

Hi Warren,

I am a bit confused now. You have a 1996 993 so any OBD-II reader should work to read common codes (P0300, etc)

The 1996 993 reads pins 7 (K Line) and 15  (L Line) which is a ISO 9141-2 yet a CAN reads pins 6 (CAN Hi) and 14 (CAN Low).

I have a 1995 993 so it would be different.

By the way, I also had the Durametric Enthusiast version and used it for 1 VIN on my 993. I later sold it and got the Durametric Pro since I was looking at buying another used 911.

Hi Alex,

I investigated the OBD plug as per your suggestion and found that although the car is a '96 model it uses  ISO9141-2 protocol pin 7 (K1) Motronic Pin 3 (K) Air-bag, CCU, Alm, ABS & pin 15(L). I connected my Autel scanner as generic and it reported back as ISO9141but could only read RPM & throttle position. Using my Bergvill OBD adaptor & Scantto software it finally connected but with limited readings. I need access to a Durametric Pro to check if all is functioning correctly before I outlay the $ on a scanner.

Thanks again,,,Warren 

8 hours ago, WB997.2GTS said:

Hi Alex,

I need access to a Durametric Pro to check if all is functioning correctly before I outlay the $ on a scanner.

Thanks again,,,Warren 

That is what I did before spending the money on a Durametric. I borrowed a Durametric from a local 911 owner for a day, tried it and liked it.

What gets me is the support from the company. P codes are not an issue becuase you can Google them, but then Porsche has all these codes such as C152, C141, 4444, etc and Durametric has no clue what they are. Damn, if they are designing a diagnostic dongle, then they should have a list of what all the manufactures codes are.

I also wish you can do more coding. I used to have the Ross-Tech dignostic for the VW group cars. A fraction of the cost of the Durametric and it just about did everything.