Harness bar

duk

I'm also most interested to learn what suggestions and ideas come up; I don't want to turn my car into a race only beast and am resistant to drilling holes/welding, but would like to fit a full harness for track days.

I asked a similar question on another forum a while ago, which triggers expensive debate!

This is the link http://www.impactbumpers.com/forum/index.php?/topic/20728-harness-bar/

I ended up with a bolt-in half cage for peace of mind.

I am also a tall guy (6' 4") so head nearly touching the ceiling with helmet on, which influenced my decision.

Last year I fitted a Harness bar from Spyder Automobiles in Warragul.  It fits across the parcel shelf and leaves the rear seats and belts available for use. It's not the full safety of a cage like Mike's but it does add a bit of security and stability for track days.

Well 64, that did stir the pot on IB forum and all i want to say about that is if you want to drive 10 10ths get a cage if you dont want to fit a cage, back it off a bit. Back to the bar- harness that is. I saw the spider unit and thought that it looked a bit flimsy, correct me if this is not the case as it is the least obtrusive that i have found but i like the look of the Brey Krause set up but not sure if the benefits justify the cost or if it works.

The IB forum discussion had a few differing views about the harness bar, one saying to fit a better seat. Now do you use the standard belt and if so how or do you still need a harness and is it able to use the standard attachment points, for the shoulder straps  they say the lower points in the rear create too much angle and there is only one mount in the top. To get a second top mount do you drill through the parcel shelf and bolt through?

Duk, I havent read the IB forum debate on this so I'll just keep it my own observations.  The Spyder bar is made from high tensile aluminium.  This keeps the weight down while maintaining strength. Nothing flimsy about it. It comes complete with all the required brackets and bolts to fit into the seat belt holes on the rear shelf. The harnesses connect via eye bolts on the bar while the original rear seat belt is still there too. The only fitting issue I had was the speakers had to go as they would not fit with the bar in place. This may be different for other 911's depending on speaker placement.

I agree with you on needing a cage if you're going 10/10ths. I just wanted to be held securely in the seats as the 3 point belt just does not do it. My car also has Recaro sport buckets for comfort and lateral support. These seats allow the use of harnesses which standard seats don't.  With the seats and harnesses I can concentrate on driving instead of sliding around and bracing myself for every corner.

While I like to push it a bit on the track I am never going to challenge any lap records. A good track day is one where I have fun, learn a bit more about driving my car and go home happy.

Archived