996 Turbo - Check Coolant Level

Skafhold911

Hi All,

Hoping someone can provide some info on likely issue for me.

I went for a relatively short drive this afternoon. Everything started normally, and after about 15min a red light popped up telling me to check coolant level. Pulled over shortly after this, and noticed the rear of vehicle and drivers side covered in liquid (coolant). Whilst I was parked, noticed liquid dripping towars front of vehicle.

it was only a 10min drive home, so decided to slowly make my way home whilst watching temperature. Got back with no problems, and actually the coolant warming light disappeared by the time i got home.

Regardless of warning light going off, there is clearly an issue. Considering the whole side of car got covered in coolant.

Anyone had same or similar and can advise on likely issue and best next steps.

Cheers  

1 hour ago, the_sovereign_man said:

Has not happened to me, however, it's a common issue (and one of the only issues) with the mezger engine. I'm told that some tracks in the US won't allow 996TT unless evidence of pinning/welding/etc. is shown.

https://autowise.com/porsche-996-turbo-mezger-engine-coolant-pipe-repair/

Thanks.

Sounds like this is it.

Also put on your list replacing the 20 year old coolant tank if not done so already.  So if its the aged epoxy,,  will follow with interest with  what route you re going to go down , eg weld vs pin. Not many first hand postings on here of repairs, which route, costs, what else was done whilst the engine was out in terms of preventative maintenence

If that happened to my car, it would be whilst the engines  may as well pull the trigger on the 550hp plus / going for the elusive sub 2000 rpm earlier spool up project 

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2022 at 17:59, Skafhold911 said:

Thanks.

Sounds like this is it.

Whilst we wait for an update, timely youtube video that's just been posted recently.

Porsche 996 turbo coolant line pinning but better and turbo upgrades and injectors - YouTube

Its one of the best youtube videos I've come across if you aspouse to you only buy a 996 turbo to tweak and reinforces my traps for newbies buying these cars that 20 year old rubber aint that pristine, even on low km cars.  It highlights the importance of boost leak testing.  Note where the leak is when he gets the soapy water spray bottle going with 25psi pumped in.  Performance being hissed away after spending all that cash and wrench time to get the boost up if that throttle body wasn't being replaced with a gt3 one

@11 minutes is where the coolant lines are identified.  @ circa 13min, note the popeye forearms getting a workout with the multi grips after some blowtorch treatment  Just a view, but a lot of work to get to pinning and still relying on epoxy.  I think I would go for a TIG weld with that beaded fitment on those torque solutions aluminium pipe set.   I would also consider getting some ndt testing done those welds whilst the parts are off the engine for some added piece of mind particularly if your not a wrencher.  Can you ndt test epoxy????

Not too sure I would go with injectors and push towards a 600 yanky hp number  and the associated jump in torque without chucking  in some carillo rods whilst the engines out just for some extra insurance given the falable mezger motor and have an extra degree of redundancy over relying the tune and tuner.    I have a rye grin when I see claims the Mezger engine is bullet proof (gt3 one eyed fan person drinking too much boiled green coolaid in between pitshops when their racking up laps during a track session me thinks) as compared to other 6 cylinder boosted engines where factor of safety on the stock rods is a fair bit more  over a mezger if your into tinkering with forced induction

Has happened to me in my 997.1 TT.

Luckily leaked only in the engine bay and pink smoke alerted me to the fact I had a leak. Leak identified under intake manifold

Needed engine out and change coolant tubes.

Changed the coolant tank, water pump, while engine out too.

$7000