Stalling at the lights

oz951

I thought I might share  the solution to a problem I dealt with this past weekend.

Since my car arrived in Australia after a few months of not being used during shipping from the UK I found it had developed a tendency to stall immediately after starting or when approaching a set of traffic lights. The problem was lessened with AC off and the motor warm but it was still happening from time to time. This had not been a problem last year when the car was in regular use.

So this past weekend I pulled out the Idle stabliser valve from the side of the throttle and began a clean up using a spraycan degreaser and cotton buds. it wasnt long before I discovered that the spindle was actually spring loaded and when de-gunked it actually sprung back to an open (or closed) position when not driven by the motor. The point there is that when I first took it off the car the spindle was binding in a given position due to excess muck. Once it was degreased it began moving freely. I applied some wd40 before reinstalling it and sure enough the problem is fixed.

This solution wont apply to later model cars that have E-throttle since they don't have an ISV, but the earlier cars with a cable throttle may benefit from an ISV clean if your having idle issues.

I have this problem with my 944S2 at the moment. I am waiting on some parts to arrive before diving under the inlet manifold.

I grabbed a spare out of the future rally car, gave it a clean and test. Combined with new hoses, fingers crossed it sorts my idle out.

Greg

Archived