Rear speaker removal

duk

I purchased a harness bar from spyder automobiles that fixes to the original seatbelt mount on the parcel shelf. My car has a set of surface mounted speakers on the parcel shelf that I'm struggling to remove. It feels like there is a single screw as you can pivot the speaker. I looked in the engine bay to the underside of the parcel shelf, but no screw so i tried to remove the mesh covering the  speaker cone to then remove the cone which wasn't forthcoming. I dont know if they are original but they appear to be around that period, 76 If they are  original someone must know how they are fixed in. Duk 

Hi there Duk.

I have also fitted the Spyder harness bar in my 80 SC. The speakers were only attached to the shelf trim panel. Although they sat down low against the sheet metal. There were no screws etc to any body panels. It may just be the magnets holding on to the back panel. There shouldn't be any screws through to the engine bay. Try a bit of force while tilting the speaker to weaken the magnetic hold.

Remove the grill first and you should reveal the screws that hold the speakers to the rear panel.

Alternatively you could remove the whole panel via its screws and un hook the speaker wires when you lift the panel out.

AFAIK there are only 4 screws for the rear panel it runs behind the seat and the parcel shelf. There also maybe those lottle hooks as well that need removing....

Job done, going thru the speaker was a no go so i removed the top mount rear seat belt bolt and the whole panel came out. Speakers are held in by a single wing nut thru this panel and appear to be original as they are made in west Germany. Only issue i had was when removing the seat belt bolt, the nut plate in the engine bay was spinning with it . I took the opportunity to clean the parcel tray and i have noticed  with other interior parts that it is very hard to clean. Even after trying a few different products it still has a dirty look about it? 

Archived