3.6 rebuild ideas

Wobbly

I've finally decided to pull my finger out and get the car back on the front burner after a couple of years of sitting in the shed and collecting parts.

First step was to get the 1990 964 motor I bought for it check out.  Dropped it down to Adrian in Mordialloc to get a leak down test, basic inspection & valve clearance check.  Unfortunate news came that one of the head studs was broken.  Bugger.

Leak down itself appears pretty good, between 5-8%.  Motor is an ex competition motor though so if doing any work to it i'm thinking more is better given the time and energy required to get it down to the cases anyway.

The motor itself is going into a 74 model chassis, so i'm not overly concerned with getting lots more peak HP out of it, given its going into something likely to come in at about 1000kg (interior currently stripped and glass bodywork coming).  I am wanting to ensure that the time and effort already required is well spent though.

So my shopping list currently is pretty simple:

• Supertec head studs
  • ARP engine bolts
  • New timing chains & rails
  • Replace main crank bearings
  • Replace all gaskets of course
  • Keep standard pistons/rings/valves/head/etc

The engine bolts are cheap and probably good insurance.  The supertec studs seem to get a good wrap and way cheaper than the 993 TT bolts which they're generally held in better favour than.  Given I'm going down to cases anyway it seems a good idea to split them and do the mains while we're at it, given that its been a competition motor.  Similarly on the timing chains and rails, they're not super expensive and its a good time to do them.

Without disappearing further down the rabbit hole in terms of cam & head work (which is probably unwarranted given that its going into something that will primarily be a street car) is there anything else that would do with attention given it will be going down to bare cases?

Cheers,

Neil.

i'd do the rings without question

you may/will need

cam gears,valve guides,big end bearings,countershaft bearings,12 s/plugs,dizzy caps?,dizzy belt,flywheel bolts

also while it's down alternator reco,tinware powdercoat?

camshaft lobes can be prone to pitting too

i'd do the rings without question

you may/will need

cam gears,valve guides,big end bearings,countershaft bearings,12 s/plugs,dizzy caps?,dizzy belt,flywheel bolts

also while it's down alternator reco,tinware powdercoat?

camshaft lobes can be prone to pitting too

+1  Jnr.

Nice to have you back, Wobbly.  :)

Thx guys ... wasn't intending on doing the rings since the leakdown numbers were good, but guess while its there...

New leads and belts for sure, need tinware from scratch + mod to suit so will be on the hunt for some of them ... 

Are the valve guides prone to wear on the 964 motor like they were on the 993?

Thx guys ... wasn't intending on doing the rings since the leakdown numbers were good, but guess while its there...

New leads and belts for sure, need tinware from scratch + mod to suit so will be on the hunt for some of them ... 

Are the valve guides prone to wear on the 964 motor like they were on the 993?

Yes, the guides go early on 964s, but the valve stems aren't so thin, so they aren't *quite* as bad as the 993s in this respect

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, parts have been ordered now ... ouch ... managed to get on to the guy I bought the motor from and the top end was fresh with only about 15 laps on it so will leave that, but going to do the whole bottom end (all bearings, rod bolts, head bolts, timing chains, guides, seals, etc).  Managed to get most stuff from pelican and found ARP rod bolts cheaper elsewhere and gasket set elsewhere as they were out of stock.  Did I mention ouch?

So in the interim I have new glass just finished from Mike T which hopefully i'll pick up next weekend and probably start some body work sooner rather than later.  The passenger door looks like its had an accident repair and never closed quite properly, so i've also found a second hand straight door which is getting sent down from Qld.

On another note I've also put the gear knob sticker I kindly received from SteamWolf to use on my custom shift knob  :)

post-130-0-87595000-1365049251_thumb.jpg

Archived