Import/Export from NZ to Aus

I'm moving to Aus in about a month and am thinking about bringing my car ('74 Targa) over.  Have listed it locally here for sale on TradeMe but wanted to see what kind of costs, etc I can expect to encounter.

Car flew through Warrant of Fitness - no rust, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

8611880317_cde4779f95.jpg
IMG_3177 by Billnus4, on Flickr

if you're an NZ resident coming to Aus permanently, I believe you can import it as a personal import with minor duties etc. 

Should all be detailed on the customs website.

You'll have to pay freight, handling and quarantine extortion fees... er...charges.  A broker such as IronChef Imports would be worth talking to as well.

if you're an NZ resident coming to Aus permanently, I believe you can import it as a personal import with minor duties etc. 

Should all be detailed on the customs website.

You'll have to pay freight, handling and quarantine extortion fees... er...charges.  A broker such as IronChef Imports would be worth talking to as well.

A 74 is old enough that it doesn't fall foul of the personal import rules, but there are qualifications as to who can bring one in.  The first stop should be a check with the DOTARS site to assess your personal eligibility to import a car.

Import duties etc shouldn't be much - but as others have said budget for $5k to get the car onto the road.  Depending on the state, you're up for $800 or more just for the first years registration, then there is the various certificates, stamps, etc.

Should you do it?  It's unlikely to be a cash positive move but if you like the car, doesn't hurt to keep it.  Better the devil you know and all that.  You can always take it back home with you if you so choose to return.  

Next time get yourself a nice manual 993 with low KMs and really make a fortune on the import - these are protected by the idiotic import rules applying to vehicles made after 1989, so sell for double what they go for in the rest of the world.

Archived