seatbelt positioning...

MH1

Hi. I am currently fitting retractable belts in my 1970 911T Targa. I have found the recess behind the rear quarter panel for the inertia, guides are on the way. My problem is where to attach the receptacle part and the other part that goes on the other side of the seat. I have attached the receptacle part to the original fixing on the side of the seat but it sticks up way too far and looks ridiculous. Has anyone had this problem, what did you do? I thought of making a piece that can be welded on behind the handbrake, any suggestions? Thanks.....

Hi. I am currently fitting retractable belts in my 1970 911T Targa. I have found the recess behind the rear quarter panel for the inertia, guides are on the way. My problem is where to attach the receptacle part and the other part that goes on the other side of the seat. I have attached the receptacle part to the original fixing on the side of the seat but it sticks up way too far and looks ridiculous. Has anyone had this problem, what did you do? I thought of making a piece that can be welded on behind the handbrake, any suggestions? Thanks.....

I strongly advise against a welded bracket. Belt anchors need to be solid. Welds can be a weak point. Bolts through the floor/tunnel with a plate behind are a better way to fit non-std belt mounts.

I found this description of early 911 belts on Pelican. Hope it helps.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/337668-question-73-911-owners.html

have you looked at a later model Targa and seen what can be adapted from that?

I'm sure if you did a good weld it would be just as strong if not stronger than a bolted in plate.

Thanks guys, two opposing comments!! I'd be keen on the idea of bolting through the tunnel but access is difficult is it not, I've got the same question on the door side of where to get a fixing too. Surley somebody has had to do this before to meet the the mod plate requirements? I've seen a set up where the buckle receptacles are just behind the handbrake and have a rubber boot over the fixing similar to the gear stick.

Archived