List of any standard parts known to include Asbestos in 1978 - 1983 SC 911 Porsches

Steve K.

Looking for information regarding use of Asbestos in 911 SC Manual Trans Porches. Any original parts or lists of parts for which asbestos was one of the materials used. As well as any 'make sure you check' parts that could have since been changed (e.g. brake pads, clutch, etc.) Looking to ensure clearance Customs on import to Australia. 

I can't give you a list of parts, but when I shipped my 1988 car here from the US, an asbestos check was organized in Long Beach before it went on the ship. I don't know what they checked, but I'm sure it was at least brake pads. It arrived here with everything intact and ready to drive, so whatever they did was not destructive. I would suggest you try to get this done before it goes on a boat. My understanding was that this resulted in a certificate that allowed it through without another check here.

• 1 month later...

Probably a bit late of a reply but for any future readers,

I have imported a few early Porsches and have never paid for the pre import asbestos check as my shipping broker says that The Oz customs inspectors do not always accept the overseas inspection certificate.

I have had sellers help remove and replace brake shoes/pads and clutch discs prior to export at least then knowing if it was inspected upon landing that it should pass. 
I’m told that they generally only check those two items and if it returns positive for asbestos they then send a mechanic over to remove all items that the mechanic suspects contain asbestos. You cop the bill for all of this plus safe disposal of affected items, and possibly storage fees etc. my broker says that they generally do not issue penalty fines on a first offence (if it was an honest mistake) but you will be red flagged on any future imports.

I’m into the earlier 356’s and they only had asbestos in the brakes, clutch and exhaust muffler and cyl head to exhaust gasket. All the other engine and trans gaskets are made of paper (unlike many Ford/GM/mopar vehicles of the time) so I’d imagine a later 911 to be the same. Hope this information helps with your importation decisions but i always budget on a few thousand more than what you plan it to cost as in my experience it always costs more than first thought.