Driven DT40 oil in Australia

skypig

The person that built the engine in my new (old) Cayman S (987) recommends Driven DT40 oil. (And nothing else). A bit rare, and very expensive in OZ. 

1. Anyone recommend a supplier? I’m on the Sunshine Coast, QLD.  North of Brisbane. Shipping adds even more cost!

2. Penrite HPR5 5w-40 looks like it might fit the bill slightly better than the common Mobil 1. While I source/decide on DT40. The Penrite mentions Zinc and Phosphorus which is one feature of the DT40.

3. Other recommendations for the M96/97 engine?

Comments?

20 hours ago, skypig said:

The person that built the engine in my new (old) Cayman S (987) recommends Driven DT40 oil. (And nothing else). A bit rare, and very expensive in OZ. 

1. Anyone recommend a supplier? I’m on the Sunshine Coast, QLD.  North of Brisbane. Shipping adds even more cost!

2. Penrite HPR5 5w-40 looks like it might fit the bill slightly better than the common Mobil 1. While I source/decide on DT40. The Penrite mentions Zinc and Phosphorus which is one feature of the DT40.

3. Other recommendations for the M96/97 engine?

Comments?

LN engineering B/S on about DT 40 and its containment of Molybdemum which is the cure for 996/ and early 987 motors but had a look at the Blackwoods (I think) oil annelis the other day and it only has around 88ppm the same as Mobile 1 5w 50  so fu#ked to now what to think about DT 40. ? Valolene 5w 30 has something like 250 ppm of Moly hard to know  what to think 🤔 . I went with Moble 1 5W 50 today , car is draining as I write this change it regularly and with a filter and you should be ok 👍 

• 1 month later...

This is going back to 2018, and is a UK based conversation string re 987's (so some of these may not be available in Aus), but certainly ID's some of the better oils out there:

Hi Craig

I would use a 5w-40 synthetic and you will find those through the link below.

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS/CFS NT+, Motul Sport/300V, Red Line and Gulf Competition.

The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Millers XF Longlife, Castrol Edge/Magnatec, Fuchs GT1 XTL/Supersyn, Shell Helix and Mobil Super 3000 are good, cheaper alternatives.

Regards

1 hour ago, CraigM said:

This is going back to 2018, and is a UK based conversation string re 987's (so some of these may not be available in Aus), but certainly ID's some of the better oils out there:

Hi Craig

I would use a 5w-40 synthetic and you will find those through the link below.

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS/CFS NT+, Motul Sport/300V, Red Line and Gulf Competition.

The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Millers XF Longlife, Castrol Edge/Magnatec, Fuchs GT1 XTL/Supersyn, Shell Helix and Mobil Super 3000 are good, cheaper alternatives.

Regards

Try  James @ Autohaus for the magnetic oil stopper its a L&N