991.1 coolant "overflow"?

nine11

Went for a relaxed spin yesterday (only 20 mins), ambient temp here was around 27.  About an hour after I get home, decided to check the coolant level.  Started unscrewing the cap and got “hissing” & “gurgling” sounds.  Quickly screwed it back tight (maybe three seconds), nothing came out via the cap however some steam under the car and maybe 50 mils of coolant leaked under the engine on to the garage floor.  Is this just any overflow type incident?  Drove again today, no warning lights and don’t see any leaks so assume it’s just an “undocumented feature”?

You would not think it would get that hot after 20 mins to create "steam" and still be under pressure after sitting for an hour, Something is crook in Tullerook 😉

On 04/02/2024 at 21:10, nine11 said:

Went for a relaxed spin yesterday (only 20 mins), ambient temp here was around 27.  About an hour after I get home, decided to check the coolant level.  Started unscrewing the cap and got “hissing” & “gurgling” sounds.  Quickly screwed it back tight (maybe three seconds), nothing came out via the cap however some steam under the car and maybe 50 mils of coolant leaked under the engine on to the garage floor.  Is this just any overflow type incident?  Drove again today, no warning lights and don’t see any leaks so assume it’s just an “undocumented feature”?

In my experience with 991.1s they reach operating temperature pretty quickly & take some time to cool down once switched off. My 991.2 reaches operating temperature (90degC) in less than 10 minutes, not in traffic as I live in the country. My car regularly is still warm after a couple of hours parked. &, no I wouldn’t even attempt to unscrew the radiator fill cap at least until a considerable amount of time had elapsed.

You do not mention a model.

On my 991.1 there is a well  (trough) around the part that the cap screws into and if anything overflows into it, a drain hose drips it down the left side onto the hot engine/exhaust.

Thanks everyone.  In regard to your question IXLR8, it's a 2015 GTS C2 (991.1).  I do now see from the "Service Information" document page 10 (attached), that drain hose you mention.  When I did have the incident, I couldn't see any sign of the coolant near the top of the tank when I removed the cap.   That said, I'm pretty confident now anyway that my experience was a one-off as it's not reoccurred since :)

Coolant.jpg