Hack into PCM unit - Add AA to the unit

Hi there,

Do anyone have tried to hack into the head unit and add AA to it? Currently my 718 only support CP and I am using android. 

I come across this from 718 forum and want to see is there anyone tried it before and how hard to hack it.

https://www.718forum.com/threads/android-auto-nav-etc-do-it-yourself-thread.23262/page-5?post_id=288796&nested_view=1&sortby=oldest#post-288796

Thanks

Edited by franky
changed to the correct title

• 2 weeks later...

Ridiculous they don't include it as Android Auto is free to manufacturers to use. Why does my spider sense make me feel like Apple is giving kickbacks to Porsche to stop them integrating it. Ferrari is the same.

20 minutes ago, sleazius said:

Ridiculous they don't include it as Android Auto is free to manufacturers to use. Why does my spider sense make me feel like Apple is giving kickbacks to Porsche to stop them integrating it. Ferrari is the same.

I saw an interview with Jim Farley, Ford CEO, who said 70% of new Ford car buyers use iPhones.

The percentage is for new Porsche buyers is only going to be higher. 

Apple doesn’t need to bribe them to not waste of their time, and money (It may be “free” but it’s far from it to implement and maintain)

I’m not sure that’s particularly relevant to be honest. 70% of people globally aren’t buying new Porsches, and that’s all Porsche care about. If people were walking out of showrooms because of this of it, they’d add it. 

On 23/02/2024 at 22:23, JWM said:

I’m not sure that’s particularly relevant to be honest. 70% of people globally aren’t buying new Porsches, and that’s all Porsche care about. If people were walking out of showrooms because of this of it, they’d add it. 

I'm saying that a company that has been repeatedly fined for being anti-competitive, all things being equal is more than likely engaged in anti-competitive behaviour behind the scenes.

They're so anti-competitive that the US department of justice is in the final stages of an investigation and is expected to launch the largest anti-trust lawsuit in history against the company.

Lastly - my Lotus Emira supports Apple Carplay and Android Auto, but your contention is that it is too expensive / not worth their while for Porsche to support it? Google actually provides their own engineers to integrate the software, it doesn't cost the car makers anything.

I’m generally in the “extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence” camp, and Porsche being found guilty of taking bribes from Apple would be rather extraordinary …

All I’m suggesting is that perhaps a simpler explanation is: most (not all, clearly) of their customers, and therefore Porsche, just don’t give a fuck about Android Auto. 

I get it, but given the company in question has been busted repeatedly either excluding companies from their ecosystem, or bribing others to exclude third parties - I'm going to assume the worst.

I'd agree with your final assertion, however VW (since 2018), Skoda (2017) and Audi (2019) have Android Auto across their entire ranges. Seems weird that only one company in the group doesn't.