Xenon HID conversion

Last weekend I completed a xenon HID low beam conversion on my Cayman 987.2.  I used a genuine Philips conversion kit bought from my local auto parts store.  It was not completely plug and play but it was not too difficult to install.  The result is excellent in my view and a huge improvement  over the already previously upgraded halogen bulbs. The brightness is very good and the lights still have a good cut off. No one has flashed their lights at me.  I chose the 6000k kit. They have not triggered any warning lights and have not failed to light up even though I have daytime running lights activated.  Beware of the many fake kits available on the internet.  

I can highly recommend this project.  Next I would like to find a way to only have the LED bars light up as DRLs or perhaps the fog lights if they can be replaced by LED units.

You can import LED replacement globes for your fog lights, I've looked into it but haven't committed yet. As for your DRL option ensure that the lights have the E1 symbol as these comply with ADR.

Your DRL by law need to light as soon as the ignition is turned to ACC and then turn off when the main lights are turned on, there is an exception to this rule though, if for example your DRL are in corporated within your main headlight unit then they may stay lighted even when the main headlights are illuminated.

Small info but hope this helps a little

Thanks Aussie944S.  I was not aware of the ADR rules.  I will take them into account.  I wonder if the fog lights can be replaced with Porsche units that have circumferential LEDs?

I know, as halogen lights dont need them but all factory Xenon head lights do. Your modification is illegal for a good reason. Without washers any dirt on the lense can cause light to scatter and blind oncoming drivers, which is why washers are mandatory. Self leveling is also mandatory for same reason, you accelerate up a hill and you will blind oncoming drivers. Xenon HID lights are massively brighter than halogen lights but if not set up as the law requires they are also incredibly dangerous for other road users. You probably won't even notice as the guy you just dazzled coming over the crest, drives off the road and hits a tree. There is a reason we have laws and why all Xenon HID kits I have seen are clearly marked *not for road/street use*. Fit them to your non registered rally or race car but these units have no place on our roads

You are correct in that the ADR rules specify headlight cleaning and self-levelling. 

I have two vehicles with factory fitted HID lamps.  One has self-levelling air suspension and not self-levelling headlights.  The vehicle does not adjust itself to every change of attitude, for example when accelerating.  I doubt that my other vehicle without air suspension adjusts its headlights instantly to changes in attitude.  Any car going over the crest of a hill is going to point its lights up.  Self-levelling features are not very responsive to the vehicles tilt on the earth, only changes that occur in suspension component angles.  Driving uphill and over a crest will not make the factory fitted HID units point steeply into the ground otherwise the driver may end up off the road and around a tree. 

I intend to keep my headlights clean, as I always do.  I do not place heavy loads in the rear of my Cayman to make it drive nose up.  Many modifications mentioned in car forums are illegal, strictly speaking, but not always detrimental.

• 2 years later...

I had a Subaru Liberty GT with Xenon headlights. It had no washer or dynamic levelling on the lights. They did self level with service intervention though.

My Jeeps all have jam tins with candles for headlights, I do miss my Liberty...

Archived