Brake pad change - Cayman S

Mike D'Silva

I ordered replacement discs and pads and sensors from pelican parts in the usa about a month ago or so.

But just go around to doing the fitout yesterday...

fyi - my mechanical ability is probably a 4/10.... 

I removed the front wheel, removed the small spring clip with needle nose pliers, tapped out the pad retaining bolt. I unplugged the sensors with pliers (fiddly but doable).

Then I pressed the pads back into the caliper using a clamp. With the pads loose and rattling, I figured i should just be able to remove the pads out of the caliper.

But they seemed to be stuck.

So I removed the caliper and with the disc out of the way, the pads came out but had a thin plate with 2 bushings that fitted inside the pistons... what are these plates for? They are called a pad damper...

brakepaddamper_zpsa4407ad5.jpg

I ended up prising them from the old pads, and just reinserting them with the new pads. 

The old sensors while still in good condition wouldnt work with the new pads though... the old pads had a hole drilled in them for the sensor to insert itself.. the new ones didnt so I had to use the new sensors... (so much for OEM).

Finally, when I went to put the new pads back in with the stock spring clip, again, they would not fit. The new pads have large round bits at the end. The old pads had much smaller diameter round bits (dunno what you call them). fronttextarpads_zps17bdeda7.jpg

Thats the new pads.. the old ones (dont have a photo for you) allow for the spring clip to be reinserted. 

This is the clip I am talking about: springclip_zps473b40c8.jpg

So my question is, do I have to put that clip in? I am guessing yes in which case, is it OK to bend the old one to make it fit?

Mike

Have you got the wrong pads if the profile across the top is different?

or are they different on each side L/R or Passenger/Driver? (or do you have rear pads by mistake? are they the same size without the differences across the top?)

I've run without the retaining clip before (but their were retaining pins that held the pads in the caliper which I assume you have) - I think the clip is just there for noise suppression from the pads moving around.

most modern cars you should be able to change the pads without taking the caliper off it's mounting - did you do that?

Hi RussR, thanks for the reply.

I wanted to take the pads off without removing the caliper, but because the damping pads were installed, they wouldnt give! 

The damping pads "insert" into the caliper pistons, then the pads are installed in the caliper. The backs of the pads were almost "glued" to the damping pads, so they wouldnt come out without taking the caliper off.

I don't think they were actually glued, but I'm guessing the heat of the brake force would have melted the paint etc... ie, once the pads were out, i could prise off the damping pads with the flat blade screwdriver....

As for having the wrong pads, I think the answer is yes... and no.

The pelican site said that the Textar pads are exactly the same as the genuine porsche, in fact they say that if you go to porsche and buy them, they still say Textar on them!

After reading a couple of reviews on pelican parts, it seems I am not the only person.

ONe other fellow mentioned that he had to drill his own holes in the textar pads for the oem sensors... but Pelican Parts staff followed up that comment saying that you need to buy their sensors for the textar pads.... which luckily I did. 

I never realised that OEM could be loosely interpreted.

Apart from the sensors and the spring clips not fitting, all seems good. Yes I do have that retaining rod insterted to retain the pads, I just feel a bit dodgy for not having them. I tried to make the stock clips fit and all I did was end up bending them into a mess so now they are useless... yay.

The rear textar pads are a perfect fit and are exactly like the stock rear pads.... weird....

I'm happy to come have a look sometime if you want (don't know how much help I'll be though)

the damping stuff in other cars is normally attached to the back of the pad and is for stopping your brakes making noise (I'm sure there's some other German reason for them being there on a Porsche)

I ended up ordering the appropriate retaining springs from PP.. it will probably be a while before I get them, so I'll try not to drive the car till then.

It's at Austral Porsche getting a minor service done at the moment anyway... should get it back tomorrow.

Archived