1971 Porsche 911 T

Napes

G'day,

I've been looking at buying a 1971 Porsche 911T. Unfortunately an accident left me only able to LEGALLY drive an automatic. Has anyone ever heard of this model being converted to an auto???

Cheers,

Napes

Hi Napes,

Welcome to the forum.

Me, I have never heard of any auto converted long bonnets.

Does a Sportomatic (semi-auto) qualify legally as an auto?? Is this a matter of definitions?

Doug

G'day

I'm missing my left arm, so the RTA get a little bit funny about letting go of the steering wheel to shift gears... So I'm guessing the Sportomatic wouldn't qualify??? Grrrr

Cheers,

Napes

Hi Napes, I have a 1970 911t so agree with your choice but thinking out loud here - the sporto operates on a microswitch as you touch the gearstick, so could you get an engineer who sets up cars for the "disabled" to change the switch to left foot operation like an old fashioned headlight dipper or an accessable paddle shift behind the steering wheel . Foot would seem the better option as your hand does not leave the wheel. Have you considered a full auto 924 or 944 as an alternative, or a later 911, perhaps a 1977 SC 3 litre and servo assisted brakes? The early T's also have heavier steering and you might get a later model with power steering( can't find when this was introduced earlier than the 964??) Someone might be able add this info. An option for the long bonnet look is to backdate a later 911 also. Good luck there must be a way to get you into a Porsche.

Regards

Paul M.

Hi Napes, I have a 1970 911t so agree with your choice but thinking out loud here - the sporto operates on a microswitch as you touch the gearstick, so could you get an engineer who sets up cars for the "disabled" to change the switch to left foot operation like an old fashioned headlight dipper or an accessable paddle shift behind the steering wheel . Foot would seem the better option as your hand does not leave the wheel. Have you considered a full auto 924 or 944 as an alternative, or a later 911, perhaps a 1977 SC 3 litre and servo assisted brakes? The early T's also have heavier steering and you might get a later model with power steering( can't find when this was introduced earlier than the 964??) Someone might be able add this info. An option for the long bonnet look is to backdate a later 911 also. Good luck there must be a way to get you into a Porsche.

Regards

Paul M.

Not a bad idea Paul,

I might give the guys at 'Problem Management Engineering' in Sydney a ring, they've helped me out before...

Cheers,

Napes

I'm missing my left arm, so the RTA get a little bit funny about letting go of the steering wheel to shift gears... So I'm guessing the Sportomatic wouldn't qualify??? Grrrr

Hang a sec...just let me pull my foot out from my mouth. ;)

Sorry about that Napes.

Definitely the Sporto's a no go. I like Paul's idea of a later model with power steering. I can confirm that there is no power steering on the 3.2 Carrera's and they take a little effort to turn at low speeds.

Doug

Napes, would you consider either an auto 928 or 944. Have a look at the PCV site marketplace.www.pcv.com.au - 2 reasonable cars there for you to consider at $15000 each?

Other Porsche club sites aree also worth a look.

Paul M.

Archived