IMS Class action in North America

qstoria

I didn't book it in with Weltmeister - that quote seemed excessive and not in line with the work required. My bearing is a serviceable one. Engine stays in :)

Mines going to Autoart. I confirmed with them today that it is a LN Engineering bearing going in. I will be given the original one and my books will be stamped with the serial number etc on completion.

I spoke to Autoart at length before buying my P - they do many IMS bearings and engine rebuilds when these engines fail. They sound like they know their stuff. I also know many happy customers too :D

Ah I see, my bad. For some reason I thought you were going to Weltmeister. Anyway, the guys at Autoart are a good bunch too. Had them do the first service as the new owner of my boxster. They also did the coolant reserviour bottle swap out too and serviced my Skoda recently. I was originally going to get them to do the IMSB but they were well and truly booked out for a few weeks and on the days they were available, I was working or had something else important on. Plus I didn't want to keep drivng her unless the IMSB was swapped over (yes I was that anal and yess I really did crap myself that much). Anyway, Weltmeister came through with immediate openings (plus they were much easier for me to get to) and they've done plenty of installs so I took the plunge all the whilst saying many prayers to the Porsche God.

Anyways, Michael and the guys at Autoart will look after you and your Boxster so I wish you the best of luck and I'm sure the rest of us will be sending our prayers your way :)

Mind if I ask what they quoted you? Just curious as to why Weltmeister quoted you so high if the previous idea of taking everything out wasn't necessary?

Ah I see, my bad. For some reason I thought you were going to Weltmeister. Anyway, the guys at Autoart are a good bunch too. Had them do the first service as the new owner of my boxster. They also did the coolant reserviour bottle swap out too and serviced my Skoda recently. I was originally going to get them to do the IMSB but they were well and truly booked out for a few weeks and on the days they were available, I was working or had something else important on. Plus I didn't want to keep drivng her unless the IMSB was swapped over (yes I was that anal and yess I really did crap myself that much). Anyway, Weltmeister came through with immediate openings (plus they were much easier for me to get to) and they've done plenty of installs so I took the plunge all the whilst saying many prayers to the Porsche God.

Anyways, Michael and the guys at Autoart will look after you and your Boxster so I wish you the best of luck and I'm sure the rest of us will be sending our prayers your way :)

Mind if I ask what they quoted you? Just curious as to why Weltmeister quoted you so high if the previous idea of taking everything out wasn't necessary?

Maybe it was a worse case scenario quote? I really don't know why it was so high. I never rang back to question it and it was the second quote I had at the time.

Autoart have quoted $1800 + GST

Thanks for your well wishes too - probably see you at the car park meet.

There are lots of possibilities affecting the price of an IMS upgrade even if the LN is used.  Is the guy also doing the clutch (extra parts and labor)? Is it a TIPtronic car (lots of extra labor)?

LN and Flat6 have done a lot of work making a product that experienced installers can use. Tools, training, instruction, testing, distribution ... all cost money. Emphasis on experienced. So yes the LN costs more than some bearing bought on the cheap. The kit also includes parts other than the bearing, parts where the OEM is known to fail.

I follow this subject rather closely (obsesively?) on several continents and if you want a replacement that is already installed on thousands of cars and has run for several years and millions of miles and in the real world of stop and go all the way to racing...then at present LN is the only answer. Other products may in time be well enough tested and have a sufficient history which allows them to be judged and it is possible they will be even better but for now the lowest risk approach is LN (and isn't risk reduction what you are trying to achieve?).

Other options linked to at http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/mikesporscheboxsterwebpages/ims-kits

There are lots of possibilities affecting the price of an IMS upgrade even if the LN is used. Is the guy also doing the clutch (extra parts and labor)? Is it a TIPtronic car (lots of extra labor)?

LN and Flat6 have done a lot of work making a product that experienced installers can use. Tools, training, instruction, testing, distribution ... all cost money. Emphasis on experienced. So yes the LN costs more than some bearing bought on the cheap. The kit also includes parts other than the bearing, parts where the OEM is known to fail.

I follow this subject rather closely (obsesively?) on several continents and if you want a replacement that is already installed on thousands of cars and has run for several years and millions of miles and in the real world of stop and go all the way to racing...then at present LN is the only answer. Other products may in time be well enough tested and have a sufficient history which allows them to be judged and it is possible they will be even better but for now the lowest risk approach is LN (and isn't risk reduction what you are trying to achieve?).

Other options linked to at http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/mikesporscheboxsterwebpages/ims-kits

Nice to see you again Mike :)

My car is a 5spd manual. Clutch is in very good shape, so that isn't being done. The quote above is $1000 more than anywhere else. Maybe he was adding in cost of a clutch but that was not stated. And I'm only assuming this.

I booked mine in with a different shop.

Archived