NOT HAPPY germany to tax tourists

CarreraG50

Am I missing something here but don't most other European countries charge for the use of their roads?  In my travels from Germany to Italy, Austria and Slovenia I paid tolls in each country except Germany.

Geographically Germany is a main thoroughfare between a lot of European countries so as a tourist I don't have an objection to this. Obviously it is a different story for people who live on border towns etc and work on the other side but usually the tolls are based on distances traveled on each countries highways so hopefully the charges take that into consideration and don't hurt the hip pockets of those working by too much.

On a side note, I would gladly pay tolls to drive at higher speeds within Australia, even as an Australian citizen!

Am I missing something here but don't most other European countries charge for the use of their roads?  In my travels from Germany to Italy, Austria and Slovenia I paid tolls in each country except Germany.

Geographically Germany is a main thoroughfare between a lot of European countries so as a tourist I don't have an objection to this. Obviously it is a different story for people who live on border towns etc and work on the other side but usually the tolls are based on distances traveled on each countries highways so hopefully the charges take that into consideration and don't hurt the hip pockets of those working by too much.

On a side note, I would gladly pay tolls to drive at higher speeds within Australia, even as an Australian citizen!

Correct, lots of countries charge road taxes in Europe but the differentiator here is all other countries (as far as I can recall) charge each and every road user regardless of if they are resident in that country or not... the point that has been raised is not about the actual taxing of the roads but more the fact they are taxing everyone else but Germans which goes against the basic rules of the European treaty.

I agree with your last comment, I would also glady pay an additional toll to drive at a higher speed especially where it has been proven (in Germany)that higher speeds on freeways does not automatically equal higher road accidents.

Archived