PCV regs for standard vs modified

Wobbly

Ok, have a quick question for those who might be in the know regarding the PCV regs for modified vs standard classes. I had a read of the regs in my welcome pack from PCV which mainly centred around power/weight ratios for the different classes. My question is, by modifying a car does it automatically mean it needs to go in the modified category or can it remain in a standard category if it best approximates a standard car?

The reason I ask is because I'm trying to work out how 'pure' to keep my build on my 74. The target is to replicate a 74 RS 3.0, but there are limits in how true you can be. For example, the RS came with the 917 derived brakes. These are as scarce as rocking horse you-know-what, so my best approximation in the spirit of things is to go for a 930 brake system (almost all assembled now), either with or without booster. While the 930 calipers are 'similar', they are outwardly different (horizontal vs vertical cooling fins for example). Similarly for rear control arms - I *could* play it pure and get 930 rear arms and have new pickup points welded on the tub (probably camber boxes), but they give little real world benefit, apart from in the interests of 'purity'.

So my question comes down to, will this concentration on 'purity' be of any value, or would it always end up in a PCV modified class?

The main impact of this will probably come down to engine - as if I wanted to maintain 'purity' I would build a 230hp 3.0 motor. But in reality, it would be a lot easier to achieve the same thing by just getting a 3.6 drop shipped to my door ... but it wouldn't be as pure a concept, for whatever that ends up being worth ;)

Ok, have a quick question for those who might be in the know regarding the PCV regs for modified vs standard classes. I had a read of the regs in my welcome pack from PCV which mainly centred around power/weight ratios for the different classes. My question is, by modifying a car does it automatically mean it needs to go in the modified category or can it remain in a standard category if it best approximates a standard car?

The reason I ask is because I'm trying to work out how 'pure' to keep my build on my 74. The target is to replicate a 74 RS 3.0, but there are limits in how true you can be. For example, the RS came with the 917 derived brakes. These are as scarce as rocking horse you-know-what, so my best approximation in the spirit of things is to go for a 930 brake system (almost all assembled now), either with or without booster. While the 930 calipers are 'similar', they are outwardly different (horizontal vs vertical cooling fins for example). Similarly for rear control arms - I *could* play it pure and get 930 rear arms and have new pickup points welded on the tub (probably camber boxes), but they give little real world benefit, apart from in the interests of 'purity'.

So my question comes down to, will this concentration on 'purity' be of any value, or would it always end up in a PCV modified class?

The main impact of this will probably come down to engine - as if I wanted to maintain 'purity' I would build a 230hp 3.0 motor. But in reality, it would be a lot easier to achieve the same thing by just getting a 3.6 drop shipped to my door ... but it wouldn't be as pure a concept, for whatever that ends up being worth ;)

Greetings,

The 74 3.0RS is already a MM1 car as per the 2010 rules, see appendix 1. So, irrespective of the changes you make to the car if you stay within the weight to power rules of that class (i.e more than 5.00 kg per KW DIN) then you are ok to compete.

Hope this helps.

If in doubt, contact the club via Carly at Admin.

BB911Sc

Hey Wobbly,

As I am not the person to know these things, I put the question to a couple of competition guys, and our recently retired club President came forward with this response...

"Broadly, the rules say that if a car has more than simple modifications for club competition (stiffer suspension, race seats, harness, rollcage, addon body kit that was available with the original) then it is not a standard car. The more popular standard cars fall into classes A to D and have a lower power to weight ratio.

The more powerful road cars and race cars fall into the Open, MM1 and M2 categories. Once they are in these categories, then they can be modified as much as the owner likes - subject to them being within the power to weight limits for our competition.

The original 74 RS is a race car and is listed in MM1. If you build an RS clone (same power/weight) then it will be in the same class....MM1.

If you start with a car eg a 74 2.7 911 which is in Class C and increase the brake diameter then it will be in a modified class - probably M2 based on the power to weight. Certainly if you change the body, the engine,the brakes, the interior to wards a 74 RS - then it is not a "standard car".

Depending how the car is modified it can be in M2, MM1 or Open.

I suspect a 74 911 in good nick is worth reasonable money. If it is not in good nick then converting it to a club car as an RS clone would be fun and quite expensive. It could run in M2 or in MM1 if the power/weight is too much.""

It is a slippery slope of modifications, however interesting to know that the 73RS would be considered a MM1 car anyway. Seems once you're into that league, and if performance over provenance is your concern, go for your life!

All the best, let me know when you want me to come around with my red, silver and blue spray cans! ;):D

Kerry

Thanks guys ... Sounds like the authenticity thing is just largely a matter of personal preference then. I'm think I might go part way on the rear arms and get new mounting brackets welded on so I don't need to butcher my rear 930 calipers. And I'm still leaning toward a warmed up 3.0 motor, just because :)

Hi Wobbly, have you seen GT Purely Porsche June 2010 pages 58 - 62, keep the slant nose, add Martini Stripes, drop in the 3.6, add a BIG wing and go modified class, you know you want to. Patrick Motorsports.Com in USA can sell you a complete kit.

Temptation awaits.

Cheers

Paul M.

Archived