Opinions on Bob Whyms / BWA Auto?

Dear Team,

Just looking at post purchase enhancement of bits and pieces on the 05 987 Bx S just acquired.

Sent an email to LN engineering and they passed it on to BWA Auto (who apparently is their Australian distributor).

Had a lengthy (30mins chat) with Bob Whyms. Seems like a really decent guy. Also very reasonable service costs.

Does anyone have experience with these guys? Looking at giving them a not-to-small amount of money to look at and and potentially fix the IMS on the Box (was going to do rebuild with Weltmeister in VIC but now nervous about driving the car from Sydney to Canberra to Melbourne!).

Any and all thoughts very welcome.

Cheers

P

PRAV

BWA are reputable and been in the business a long time - however I have not had a car serviced by them. I have bought parts.

Get them to give you a quotation and then get quotations from some of the other reputable independents, such as Michael Newtown, autohaus and others. I'm sure there are Sydney siders who could pipe up here and offer some information?

Anyone?

BTW there is also Pete Shelley who owns the VW centre in Kiama as well as a shop in Canberra - Pete is very knowledgeable with P cars having worked on them for some time now, and personally owns and drives them himself (914 with a boxster engine and a cayman). That way you could have a great coast trip back to Melb. Also worth a try

my 2 cents the IMS along with D chunk and other issues is real; but don't be too paranoid.

good luck

cheers Michel

Michel,

Great advice. And thanks.

I called Porsche Parramatta (who know the car) and was told that no P centre will do IMS. In their opinion, BWA and Autohaus were on par. And they said they knew of several cars that had stuff done at BWA. Of course, then came the spiel about not going to a Porsche centre blah blah blah.

Bob Whyms knew a lot about the LN parts, of course, and his labour quotes were very reasonable.

I didn't pay a lot for the car given the quality of the books, so I'll put this extra cost to an investment in my sanity. And this car is going to be driven like its stolen, so best to iron out the wrinkles.

Fingers crossed that my March 2005 build means I have a small IMS - only one way to know. Will report back with experiences. Pick up car from seller on Tuesday. Pick up from BWA the Monday after. Here's hoping.

PK

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Prav,

I have had 3 of my cars services with Bob, my 85 911, VW Multivan and the wifes Toureg, as we havemt been overly happy with Factory VW servicing. We've been very happy with his service and advice. Been around for 30 or 40 years, so very clued up on all things Porsche. 

The best part for me is the free loan cars, he has stacks of them ranging from BMW 7 series to VW Golfs...just pay for the gas and tolls. Great for me as he is a little way out.

I would gladly recommend him and his team.

• 1 year later...

Wouldn't recommend BWA at all.

Asked if they could install a modified catback exhaust for me which for some reason made them treat me like I was some kind of criminal for wanting to put something like that on. When on their website they talk about modifying cars as well. wth.

They refused to install it as it didnt have secondary cats (which I explained to him that the primary cats are still on the headers and still installed and as such still comply with emissions).

Still wouldnt have a word of it and refused to book my car in. Took it to Autohaus Hamilton instead (even though I live near BWA anyway). So yea not very nice to deal with and I doubt id ever go there again.

Autohaus was much more friendlier, and had great people to talk to over the phone.

Archived