new track tyres!

k1200

Hi,

i have had some trouble with my current track tyres (Toyo R888) on my GT3 and need to change to something else.

my short list comprises:

Dunlop DZ03G

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup

Yokohama AO50

does anyone have experience or comments to make on any of these?

they will be a track only tyre (although i do drive to the track with them on).

Cheers

k1200

I run 888s (only because I have 16 inch rims and there isn't really anything else).

The talk is that the A050s have about half a second a lap better times. Don't say that's because of my driving :)

Obviously they are softer and wear quicker.

I drove an SLS AMG Black a few weeks ago with Pilot Sport Cup 2 and they've got to be the most amazing tyre I've ever driven on. In the wet and dry there was loads of grip and after a day running round Marulan had little wear signs. Be interesting to see how they go long term but at 2 weeks old and getting pushed hard in corners etc it held on very very well.

thanks for the comments.

i bought the dunlops.

235/40R18 in R compound for the fronts

295/30R18 in H compound for the rears.

hopefully they wont fall apart like the Toyos!

tread splice separation on the front tyres.

i didnt know what it was the first time it happened and assumed that i had driven over something on the track and cut the tyres - but when it happened again last weekend, i did some research. Our chief scruitneer had seen it before.

It was stinking hot last weekend and i am fairly hard on the brakes. Hidden Valley has a 1.1km long straight, so the brakes and tyres get a fair work out into turn one.

Archived