Engine rebuilds.

HECTOR

Hi again,

My question is in regards to 2.7 and 3.0 lt engines and what needs to be done to them at what klm intervals.I guess what I am trying to assertain is when Im searching for a possible purchase , what im up for if a car has either 100,000/150,000 or more klms if nothing has been done to them.(generally speaking that is as I know there is alot of variabals).I was once told it would cost upto and sometimes over $15,000 for a total engine rebuild.I was also told that there is a cheaper option by using VW parts???

Anyway thanx again in advance for your feed back.

VW parts??? I don't this so. 3 litre engines in good nick are pretty much bulletproof. 2.7 can have head stud and heat problems but a proper rebuild cures this. How much - depends on condition. Best advice engine and body wise, look around a LOT and buy one that has a good service and replacement record. Preferably a Porsche Club member and enthusiast, and spend the money on a full pre purchase inspection, it could save you buying a money pit. Look for one that has had an engine rebuild in the last few years, and spend more on the purchase. Rough guide price wise $40,000 plus.

a thorough pre purchase appraisal by a reputable business will inform you of engine defects and rust issues

these cars are 30 years old, no 2 have exactly the same wear and tear

yes it can cost up to 15k for a rebuild,but the idea would be to factor that into the purchase price

no vw bits in those engines ;)

Archived