993S tyres

Hi everyone

My 993S is almost back from the painters and I've just this morning bought an OE set of 18" twists, 8 and 10 inch wide. My car came with standard cup wheels. Now my question, what size rear tyres can I get under the guards. Will 285 30 18's fit. Anyone with experience here. What about front sizes too? I have P Neros on my Boxster that I love and will most probably go with the Pirelli. Also does anyone one do after market spats for the 993S? I've purchased from Porsche centre the clear front lenses with the red rears...surprising how reasonable they were...a heap cheaper than ebay!! Go figure. I didn't realise at the time but need a right hand side front drivers/fog light...the one next to the indicator...anyone have one I can buy? Otherwise I'll buy one next week new. Also guys who does a clear side repeater for the indicators? A bit of help here would be muchly appreciated. Thank you everyone!

Dean

Hi Dean,

225 40 18 for the front & 285 30 18 for the rear are the sizes recommend by the factory so you will not have any trouble sticking with those. For the rear spats and other stuff you are after look on pelican parts. Should be able to help you out with those.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Dean,

I can't help you with tyre sizes however I recently changed from P Zeros to Michelin pilot sports and I can tell you that the difference was very very noticeable, particularly in the wet.

I don't know if they make them in the size you require but if they do it definitely worth a look. They are not a cheap tyre but in my case was money well spent.

Good luck,

Danny

Hi Dean,

225 40 18 for the front & 285 30 18 for the rear are the sizes recommend by the factory so you will not have any trouble sticking with those. For the rear spats and other stuff you are after look on pelican parts. Should be able to help you out with those.

Cheers

Chris

Hey Chris

Thanks for that. Motorsport wheels recommended those sizes too. I was wanting to know if anyone has tried larger (wider) tyres specifically on the rear of a wide bodied 993 or similar...I'll have a look at Pelican parts, so thanks for that Chris. I've never purchased over the net. Anyone with experience with Pelican parts?

Dean

Hi Dean,

I can't help you with tyre sizes however I recently changed from P Zeros to Michelin pilot sports and I can tell you that the difference was very very noticeable, particularly in the wet.

I don't know if they make them in the size you require but if they do it definitely worth a look. They are not a cheap tyre but in my case was money well spent.

Good luck,

Danny

Thanks Danny

I'll ask about the Michelin. My tyre guy is going to give me some options tomorrow. Price vs brand etc. Having had experience with my Boxster...balance is a real issue with Porsches. When I got new wheels on the Boxster I was convinced (not really believing it I must say) to go for a japanese brand of tyre...they lasted 1000km's on the car....before the balance was done 4 times..they were replaced with Pirelli's after that. I found top end Euro tyres the only option. I'm like you Danny, I think the money's well spent. The front's last ages!! Not so the rears though. On the Boxster I run Pirelli 265 x 30 x18 at the rear and I've gone through 3 sets of rears to my fronts that are not even worn on the first set. Cheers mate.

Dean

Dean

When I had a 993 I looked at different sizes and found that one size up to 295 on the back would need the inside edge of the guard rolled, people certainly do that, 245 on the front rubs on the inside and didn't seem workable. I didn't change sizes and just kept replacing the rears every 15k.

Cheers Johnno

Dean

When I had a 993 I looked at different sizes and found that one size up to 295 on the back would need the inside edge of the guard rolled, people certainly do that, 245 on the front rubs on the inside and didn't seem workable. I didn't change sizes and just kept replacing the rears every 15k.

Cheers Johnno

Hi Johnno

Was your car a widebody? It's funny with tyres. My Boxster had 2 new tyres put on it recently and they looked smaller than what I had on it before. When I checked the sizes they were the same. There was a difference of about 10-12mm in width. You could really see the difference. Motorsport then replaced them at no extra charge with 2 different Pirelli's. Johhnny at Motorsport then showed me different brand tyres of the same size and there were considerable variations. I was a bit shocked actually. I'll ask them about the 295's Johnno. Just checked and I have PZero on the Boxster and it's quite different to the PNero's that were changed over...wider and less rounded in the side wall. I'm no tyre expert I must admit. I don't want to get into rolling guards etc.

Thanks mate

Dean

Archived