HID H4 Conversion Kit

I have a HID conversion kit that will fit H4 Porsche headlights.

More images here:             http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/kenhill2/library/HID%20Lights  

IMG_0317_zps95445259.jpg

I have used the same kit on my 964. I left the original H4 wiring in place (just removed the bulbs) in case I wanted to revert to them at a later time. It is then  just a matter of removing the HID lights and reinstating the H4 halogen lights.

The kit contains all the components (ballast and starters) and wiring required to install the lights.

Please note: These may not be legal in your state or territory and they only have one beam -no high and low but they do produce much more light than the standard H4's. I have been running them in Queensland for about 4 years with no problems.

Complete kit including wiring, starters and ballasts for 2 x H4 headlights     Price: $75 plus post if required otherwise pick up in Coorparoo Qld 4151

So, legal in QLD?

I have never asked the question-I have had them in for 4 years with no problems and they certainly give better light.

are these kits legal anywhere; does it have shuttering for high beam?

I am not sure what you mean by "shuttering"- I have the beams aimed down to the low beam angle and if I need more light such as in country driving I turn on my driving lights.

Aftermarket HID conversions in Queensland

Aftermarket halogen to HID conversions are available however their use on a road registered vehicle will generally result in contravention of the relevant ADRs. Typically these ‘conversions’ comprise ballasts, wiring and HID globes that plug straight into the existing lamp.

Halogen lamps and their globes must comply with ADRs 46 and 51, while HID lamps and their globes must comply with a different set of requirements within ADRs 77 and 78. Interchanging globe types (such as putting HID globes into a lamp designed for a halogen globe) prevents continued compliance of the lamp/globe assembly.

In addition, ADR 13 requires that all vehicles fitted with headlamps (including HID) producing over 2,000 lumens (a measure of light output) have a self-levelling system and headlight washers. These simple retro conversions don’t provide these features and are therefore likely to be excessively glary to other road users.

If the vehicle manufacturer offered optional HID lights for a particular model then retrofitting the complete system including lamps, globes and the features required by ADR 13 to that model should be acceptable. But ‘grafting’ a full system between models or makes would impose performance certification requirements in the new application and is unlikely to be viable.

HID headlight conversions are not permitted under Qld legislation. However, it is not clear if other Australian states view the issue in the same way. If you operate in another state you should check requirements in your area.

Full article here: http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/cars/car_advice/car_fact_sheets/headlights

Note also that Queensland's Dept. Transport and Main Roads (DTMR) advises that there is currently no legislation concerning HID conversion of driving lights.

Aftermarket HID conversions in Queensland

Aftermarket halogen to HID conversions are available however their use on a road registered vehicle will generally result in contravention of the relevant ADRs. Typically these ‘conversions’ comprise ballasts, wiring and HID globes that plug straight into the existing lamp.

Halogen lamps and their globes must comply with ADRs 46 and 51, while HID lamps and their globes must comply with a different set of requirements within ADRs 77 and 78. Interchanging globe types (such as putting HID globes into a lamp designed for a halogen globe) prevents continued compliance of the lamp/globe assembly.

In addition, ADR 13 requires that all vehicles fitted with headlamps (including HID) producing over 2,000 lumens (a measure of light output) have a self-levelling system and headlight washers. These simple retro conversions don’t provide these features and are therefore likely to be excessively glary to other road users.

If the vehicle manufacturer offered optional HID lights for a particular model then retrofitting the complete system including lamps, globes and the features required by ADR 13 to that model should be acceptable. But ‘grafting’ a full system between models or makes would impose performance certification requirements in the new application and is unlikely to be viable.

HID headlight conversions are not permitted under Qld legislation. However, it is not clear if other Australian states view the issue in the same way. If you operate in another state you should check requirements in your area.

Full article here: http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/cars/car_advice/car_fact_sheets/headlights

Note also that Queensland's Dept. Transport and Main Roads (DTMR) advises that there is currently no legislation concerning HID conversion of driving lights.

Well - after reading this I can no longer plead ignorance-not that that is an excuse anyway.

I do have a levelling device and headlight washers in the 964. 

Archived