Lost 5th and Reverse Gear in a G50

twood

Last weekend I could not select 5th and reverse gear. The other gears were also difficult to find but usable.

The problem were the bushes in the universal joint had disintegrated.

So the fix is;

You buy after market bushes that also fit the older 915 gearboxes part number 911 424 223 03. 

I took these around to my local mechanic as a pin needs to pushed out using a hydraulic press because there is a danger of damaging the alloy universal joint (it can be done with a hammer and punch).

If you go the Porsche route they can only sell you the entire linkage rod at around $250. The bushes cost $5.95ea from Bob Wynm Auto in Sydney. Exactly the same outcome for a lot less money. They are also available from Pelican Parts for $6.00 USD for the pair but come with $55 postage bill.

dsc04941_medium.jpg

Here is how the new bushes look.

IMG_0322_zps62aa9ff2.jpg

IMG_0319_zps61c5cb80.jpg

I have used the same bushes in a 915 gearbox (the only difference is where the universal joint is located) so if your gear shift feels loose or is difficult to select then this may your problem.

Ken, I got those same bushes from Bob Wynm for mine, they were great but did start to go oval and loosen off after 6 months. Ended up getting those derlin type (think that what its called) from the coupler whisperer, basically hard plastic v slightly flexible poly something.

In saying that they did cost $30, so you could 4 sets of the poly type ones for the same money :D

Archived