PORSCHE IMPORT FROM THE US of A

Niko

Hello fellow PCV FORUM members. I have just returned from a trip to Viet Nam. On that trip I met a chap from Washington DC who owns a couple of Porsches. He has one for sale which sounds pretty good to me. I am seriously thinking about going over, checking it out and getting it back to OZ.

However being unsure of what I need to do I am posing a few questions to anyone who may know.

It is a 1988 plated 911 Cab.

Q1. I have been told I cannot register it here (keeping it LHD) until it clocks up 25 years. True/False

Q2. If I do have to wait until that time,can I get a permit from the RTA to use the car on club days?

Q3. Does anyone know a good car importer that may be able to do the job or have any hints on pitfalls etc.

I know that's a fair bit of info I'm chasing but the car is "SWEET" and I think a good price. The chap who owns it doesn't get back to the states until 1/1/2011 and he is going to send me some photos and it's history. Apparently it has 87000 miles only on the clock and he is second owner. White leather interior and blue exterior.

Maybe I might eventually have a real(?) PORSCHE in the garage.

I thank anyone in advance who may have any ideas or info.

Regards, Niko

Hello fellow PCV FORUM members. I have just returned from a trip to Viet Nam. On that trip I met a chap from Washington DC who owns a couple of Porsches. He has one for sale which sounds pretty good to me. I am seriously thinking about going over, checking it out and getting it back to OZ.

However being unsure of what I need to do I am posing a few questions to anyone who may know.

It is a 1988 plated 911 Cab.

Q1. I have been told I cannot register it here (keeping it LHD) until it clocks up 25 years. True/False

VIC Roads can help also check this site

Q2. If I do have to wait until that time,can I get a permit from the RTA to use the car on club days?

VIC Roads again - they have some keen petrolheads in their specialst areas that might be very helpful. Ron Widdison ahs just imported a sweet lil carrera - he could be a font of knowledge. Not sure about Club plates tho.

Q3. Does anyone know a good car importer that may be able to do the job or have any hints on pitfalls etc.

I would be happy to drive it home for you happy.gif

I know that's a fair bit of info I'm chasing but the car is "SWEET" and I think a good price. The chap who owns it doesn't get back to the states until 1/1/2011 and he is going to send me some photos and it's history. Apparently it has 87000 miles only on the clock and he is second owner. White leather interior and blue exterior.

Maybe I might eventually have a real(?) PORSCHE in the garage.

I thank anyone in advance who may have any ideas or info.

Regards, Niko

Keep us informed - the anticipation is delicious.

MX to all

rEd

Niko, a few things to be aware of: See vicroads site - club permit cut off is 1985 and scheme is changing on 1 Feb 2011, and the time frame will move out to 30 years over the next 5 years.Use the vicroads search engine for "club permit' for the new conditions. Contact Customs, especially about air conditioning refrigerant, the wrong one means rejection and return. Customs have been warning about this in car magazines. I know it's tempting, as I was looking at the Excellence magazine site and there are some cheap, almost new Porsches for sale everywhere in the US at the moment. But be careful, a wrong decision becomes expensive. If my geography is right DC is on the East coast, and it would be cheaper to drive it to california and export from there (holiday excuse??). Re shipping, suggest you talk to Alex Webster in PCV, think he has contacts.

Good Luck

Paul M

Thanks RED, I will be making those enquiries, and will check that site out. I will also get in touch with Ron. I know somewhere along the line I will have to go and have a chat with VICROADS but I will hang off until I get some photos and the complete history sent to me of the car. Certainly be nice to get to talk to a car enthusiast who knows what he is on about than someone from the other side of the world who is not interested in helping out.

The info from Paul M may have thrown a bit of a dampener on the project.

Thanks for the offer to drive it home for me, but I was thinking along the lines of Paul's idea. Feel free to carry my bags and come over for the ride though. The Buds will be on me. I will post the photos on the site when I get them. The car is blue with a white interior and just sounds great. It got me pretty excited on the night of the conversation. We were enjoying a happy hour (make that a very happy hour) last wednesday night in Saigon when the car conversation came up. I had to actually ask my wife who doesn't drink what was said, the next morning due to the amount of French wine consumed by both prospective buyer and seller.

I will keep the Forum in the loop.

Thanks again,

regards Niko

Niko, a few things to be aware of: See vicroads site - club permit cut off is 1985 and scheme is changing on 1 Feb 2011, and the time frame will move out to 30 years over the next 5 years.Use the vicroads search engine for "club permit' for the new conditions. Contact Customs, especially about air conditioning refrigerant, the wrong one means rejection and return. Customs have been warning about this in car magazines. I know it's tempting, as I was looking at the Excellence magazine site and there are some cheap, almost new Porsches for sale everywhere in the US at the moment. But be careful, a wrong decision becomes expensive. If my geography is right DC is on the East coast, and it would be cheaper to drive it to california and export from there (holiday excuse??). Re shipping, suggest you talk to Alex Webster in PCV, think he has contacts.

Good Luck

Paul M

Thanks Paul, interesting info. But doesn't sound too promising. bugga! I think I could handle putting the car in the garage for two and a bit years but if the time frame does move out to 30 years I think I would be on my zimmer frame before I could drive it. if I could get it out for a drive on a club day every now and again I think I would be happy with that. I will keep Alex in mind as well as a reply on my email from Dave (Dk Blu 911 3.2) if it gets to the ok to buy stage. I am not sure if the car has Air Con so that may not be a problem, but the 30 year thing is a bit of a concern.

Once this silly season is out the way I will make some official enquiries.

If we do go over and buy it, I think I will be doing what you suggest, and have a bit of a drive of it over there before committing it to the high seas.

Thanks for your time and advice it is much appreciated.

Regards, Niko.

Hi Niko,

Keep the thought alive.

Some other things to consider :-

• East coast car = snow = saltly roads = possible corrosion. Maybe look at a California car where the weather is milder.
  • I believe conversion to RHD is expensive, tedious, involves engineers, reports and Vicroads.
  • Conversion also has devaluing effect on the car. If you are happy to stick with LHD then forget all of the above.
  • You may be investing good $s on yr baby - why not arrange for an independent Pre-purchase inspection, I am sure the Porsche Club in the US can help there.
  • I will miss out on a cool road trip - shucks.

Cheers

rEd

Hi Niko,

Keep the thought alive.

Some other things to consider :-

• East coast car = snow = saltly roads = possible corrosion. Maybe look at a California car where the weather is milder.
  • I believe conversion to RHD is expensive, tedious, involves engineers, reports and Vicroads.
  • Conversion also has devaluing effect on the car. If you are happy to stick with LHD then forget all of the above.
  • You may be investing good $s on yr baby - why not arrange for an independent Pre-purchase inspection, I am sure the Porsche Club in the US can help there.
  • I will miss out on a cool road trip - shucks.

Cheers

rEd

Thanks again Red. Definitely happy with the LHD if I eventually get the car. I have also taken into consideration snow salt etc. I am relying a lot on the chap who owns it I get the feeling he is very genuine and honest, and he gives the car a great rap. He says it has never seen snow or rain However I am starting to shy away a bit because of a lot of the advice I am getting. I will be interested to have a look at the photos and copies of history of the car which should arrive around 1/1/2011. Then I will talk to all the relevant authorities to see what is required and also cost of shipping then do my sums. I know the LHD bit will be a bit of a pain in the butt, but I won't be using it for an everyday driver so that is not a real concern.

I will post some photos when i get them, see what you think.

Thanks again

• 4 weeks later...

Niko, any further advanced? Or are you trying locally? Got to admit there are some bargains in the US for mid year Porsches. I just found a 930 Turbo (which looks magic), and has a good write up, if you can verify the condition, for $29000. Locally sourced equivalents in RHD would be at least double that price plus.

Cheers

Paul M

Archived