Ferdinand had no choice

tazzieman

http://euroasianews.com/nazi-past-overshadows-genius-of-porsche/

Despite the controversy, car collector Milan Bumba is setting up his own private Porsche museum at a local brewery, where he already has three Porsches, a 1956 Beetle and a Porsche tractor.

“Porsche had no choice,” said the 54-year-old bus driver.

“Hitler chose him and if Porsche had refused, he would have ended up in a concentration camp and never achieved anything.”

Bumba believes Porsche “was only interested in designing cars and I think he didn’t see what was happening around him,” he said.

Heavy topic.

It's always difficult to judge the actions of the long-dead, because they aren't here to defend themselves.

In 1933 the war was 6 years into the future and the full horrors of the regime were a decade away from even being discovered.

There is no doubt that any talented engineer given the opportunity to develop a car for the entire country would have jumped at the chance.

I also understand the sensitivity for the local people about commemoration of someone who was part of the the Nazi party.

I have colleagues in Spain - there is controversy over naming of streets that date back to the Spanish civil war. I think it's hard for us in Oz to understand how far some of these things go back.

Archived