Sunroof lifting at the back?

SteamWolf

Hi all, 

I've had the sunroof in and out a few times now, with no real issues.  Now that the new roof lining is in place I am noticing it can bind a bit which causes the back of the sunroof to kick up.  I'm worried it'll do it and I won't realise until it's scratched it up again.  Any ideas why this happens?

Hi all, 

I've had the sunroof in and out a few times now, with no real issues.  Now that the new roof lining is in place I am noticing it can bind a bit which causes the back of the sunroof to kick up.  I'm worried it'll do it and I won't realise until it's scratched it up again.  Any ideas why this happens?

Its been a long time since i've had a sunroof in bits, but the symtoms you describe would suggest that something is now mis-aligned or possibly out of adjustment.  If you replaced the felt/furry type seal that goes around the roof, they end up being slightly larger than the one that came off and can also cause binding you mentioned.

Try it with the inner (headliner bit) trim removed and if that make no difference, then you have at least eliminated one possible cause. With that trim removed you can now see some of what is happening with the mechanism (good idea to have another pair of eyes on the out side too). 

Let us know how you go.

Its been a long time since i've had a sunroof in bits, but the symtoms you describe would suggest that something is now mis-aligned or possibly out of adjustment.  If you replaced the felt/furry type seal that goes around the roof, they end up being slightly larger than the one that came off and can also cause binding you mentioned.

Try it with the inner (headliner bit) trim removed and if that make no difference, then you have at least eliminated one possible cause. With that trim removed you can now see some of what is happening with the mechanism (good idea to have another pair of eyes on the out side too). 

Let us know how you go.

The head liner insert is definitely causing it, but I'm not sure it's the root cause.  Surely the back half of the sunroof is supported better than just by gravity?

Archived