'78 911 SC - Cracked Dash

FIG

If it a small crack just regard it a patina. Otherwise see if you can find a plastic dash"welder"or consider a cover of shaped vinly or leather from an auto upholsterer.If the SC is the same as earlier one piece dashes like my 1970T you have to take the windscreen out first to get at the plugs etc.

There are also commercially made slide on covers - try Pelican Parts etc but RHD can be difficult to find.Maybe someone can chime in with a local supplier.

Cheers

Paul M

If it a small crack just regard it a patina. Otherwise see if you can find a plastic dash"welder"or consider a cover of shaped vinly or leather from an auto upholsterer.If the SC is the same as earlier one piece dashes like my 1970T you have to take the windscreen out first to get at the plugs etc.

There are also commercially made slide on covers - try Pelican Parts etc but RHD can be difficult to find.Maybe someone can chime in with a local supplier.

Cheers

Paul M

Sadly it's not that small...

Yeah, I know the windscreen out thing troubles me as it could potentially become a 'domino effect'. Windscreen out (may break and need replacing?), then a new seal (probably find rust) then body repairs/paint etc and all this before footing the $1500 for the dash.

I think I'll go the repair/weld until either the screen needs replacing or a full resto.

It just looks like crappa to us anally retentive :P

Thanks for the info Paul!

Sadly it's not that small...

Yeah, I know the windscreen out thing troubles me as it could potentially become a 'domino effect'. Windscreen out (may break and need replacing?), then a new seal (probably find rust) then body repairs/paint etc and all this before footing the $1500 for the dash.

I think I'll go the repair/weld until either the screen needs replacing or a full resto.

It just looks like crappa to us anally retentive tongue.gif

Thanks for the info Paul!

Whilst its a bit of work if you remove the windscreen the result may be worthwhile. Perhaps try the dash the dash doctor in Coburg can probably help for about $500, maybe worth driving to him first to let him take a look to see if it is repairable.

Thats what I did with my one, and i think i had a great result.

Archived