Couple of questions on my 996

Whipit

Hi All, well I have had my 2001 Cabrio for about three months now and just love it. The Porsche 911 surely has to be the perfect daily driving performance car. Couple of questions though, I am hoping someone can answer for me, hopefully they are not too stupid :).

1. My car blows blue smoke at start up, it doesn't "use" oil though. My mechanic assures me its not a problem. I have done some research and it does appear this is quite normal for these cars and is due to the flat engine layout. I have read though that it is more prevalent if the oil is full, I have just had its 20k service done and it does seem to be doing it a little more, and also I have read that letting the car idle for a couple of minutes before shutting it off helps reduce it. Can anyone confirm that's true?

2. My car has a a some unusual options I havent seen on many other cabrio cars;

It has a "911" rear badge instead of "Carrera", and also the front Porsche emblem has no colour its plain silver.

The brake calipers are red. Is this just simply a colour thing or is it a brake upgrade?

It has a Porsche body kit including rear wing, side skirts, front chin spoiler.

It has "quad" style exhaust tips.

My question is can anyone shed some light on if these were just particular option for this car only or was it available as a "edition" if you know what I mean? Is there a way to find out what was ordered when it was bought?

3. The original sound system is a little "primitive" with the CD storage part etc. Can anyone suggest some nice upgrade that is keeping with the look of the car?

Thanks in advance.

post-269-129479751544_thumb.jpg

Hi Whipit,

Congratulations, the car looks awesome. It does sound like the original owner might have ticked a few options boxes on the order. You could always call or email Paul Girt who is the Spare parts Manager at PCA here in Melbourne. He may be able to shed some light on the history of the car and what it was ordered with. I dont know enough about the 996 model to say if it was a limited edition or not. Paul is a member of the forum so you can look him up in the members section and send him a message through the forum.

As far as blowing smoke, yep its a common thing and one I hate. Even after I had the engine rebuilt on my 930 it still occassionally did the same thing. I find that my 993 when left to sit for a long time between start ups, which is all the time :rolleyes: , blows a bit of smoke, again not all the time. Anyway thats one of those things you might just have to learn to live with. Sure it will not stop you from enjoying your car though. :D

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris, thanks, OK I think I will try and contact Paul.

Yea the smoke thing is a little annoying, I guess only because its one of those cars that everyone wants to look at when they come over, and it just looks a little crappy blowing smoke when you start it up in front of them, but hey I guess its only one small thing in an otherwise amazing car.

I know it sounds lame but I actually didn't appreciate just how good a car they are until I got this one. They really do go as well as they look don't they.

cheers

Quick update, I emailed the Sydney Porsche Centre who sold the car new. A very helpful guy (Michael) called me straight away. Of course he couldnt tell me anything about the owner but was happy to chat about the car and seems with my car the new buyer ticked a lot of options, rather than it being an edition. So good to find out.

Also I have tried letting the car idle for a minute or so before shutting it off and it definitely seems to blow significantly less smoke the next morning on start up :) So all good.

• 4 months later...

Whipit,

Your car has a '911' badge option on the back - it was common in the post 2001 996s. It came as standard on specific models like the Anniversary car etc. The wheels you have were designed for the introduction of the 997 - they were fitted as a chrome (not matt) option on the Anniversary model and some pre-2005 cars as well.

It looks like you have a lovely car, and in my opinion the 996 is just about the best bang for your buck 911 out there.

Kiran

Guest vas930

Good point Kiran. The 996 at the current prices are great value for performance. Check out some of the 996tts for sale. 110 to 120 grand, thats a lot of car for the money. :huh:

Couldn't agree more. I do roughly a 100kms every day, put the roof down every chance I get, I can't see what else would get near it for the money, but more importantly the "feel good factor" :) I haven't had the pleasure of driving the turbo yet, but the 3.6 NA is no slouch as a daily driver.

Guest vas930

Test drove 996tt and 996 carrera yesterday. My mate is looking to buy one, but he is in the NT. Both nice cars and good value. Its a hard life doing all this for others, I just cant stop helping people. :P:P:D

Archived