Half roll cage Victoria

550Spyder

That approach works here too, but only until a roadside conversation with the law gives you a yellow sticker. That escalates into a red sticker because of the cage, then its a one way journey on to the restricted Rally registration, where you can only drive in events, or for tuning purposes.

Team

Understood that full cage will be problematic in any state. Looking at putting in a welded in half cage in VIC (yes I get it only helps when you are upside down rolling down a ravine and no real assistance in any other likely accident scenario).

From research vicroads appeared to be quite relaxed on 1/2 cages until about 2011 when they issued much more demanding guidelines.

(1) does anyone have a half cage that complies to their Jan 2000 technical bulletin 28 on roll bars and cages? Did it have to be stamped with specific installation dates? What is to say that your roll cage was not fitted in 2000-2007 in compliance with the more generous Bullitin 28 and not put in recently in compliance with the much more demanding 2011 rules and regs?

(2) do we have a site guru on Vicroads and half roll cages ?

My understanding is that it was only full cages (6 point) that were effected by the rules as far as not being allowed goes. I believe 4 point half cages (all bars behind the B pillar) are still ok.

The reason for the 6 point rule change had to do with the crumple zone and air bag designs of modern cars.

The only real issue with half cages was if there is a back seat where cars needed to be re-registered as a 2 seater and have all rear seats / seat belts etc removed.

Otherwise on the condition that the half cages meet the CAMS guidelines they are ok (a lot of the import bolt in ones don't however so you really need someone local and registered to build you one).

Archived