3.2 Carrera Alternator

Glenn

Hi All.

Horrible smells came emanating from the car today. Got home and after investigating found the battery was extremely hot. It is a heavey duty sealed unit and the pressure build up was enough to make the escaping gasses make quite an audible noise. I know I'm actually lucky that something more serious didn't happen here which makes it easier to handle the knowledge that I can't take the car for a drive to Ballarat as planned this weekend.

I've checked the voltage at the battery at different rev ranges and it is showing over 15 volts so I guess at the very least the voltage regulator is not working. I'm planning on removing the alternator and sending it to Steve Varrasso for an overhaul. I hear he is the man for this sort of thing. I could just replace the VR myself but am not confident that this is the only thing wrong.

I'm away for 5 weeks come Monday so won't miss having the car out of action (except for this weekend &*%$##). Any suggestions for alternative action are welcome. Oh, I live in Warrnambool so a quick trip into a P car savvy auto-elec is not an option unfortunately.

Best Regards,

Glenn.

internal reg's gone!

hope it didn't go at night

seen this blow control boxes,lights,etc(whatevers on at the time)

don't drive it imho....$$$$$$

steves a good man ;)

Thanks for the input. Yes, I agree that driving it as is a bad idea. I'm in Melbourne Monday so I'll drop the alternator off to Steve's workshop in person.

Glenn.

internal reg's gone!

hope it didn't go at night

seen this blow control boxes,lights,etc(whatevers on at the time)

don't drive it imho....$$$$$$

steves a good man ;)

Alternator came out this morning. Fiddly job. It's a French Paris Rhone unit. Don't know much about them but the VR appears to be external, bolted to the back of the alternator at the top.

Regards,

Glenn.

Or you could get a new Australian made one from these guys...http://www.k3.com.au/index.php?page_id=1

Thanks Cam.

I didn't know about those guys. I've committed to getting mine reconditioned but if there's any further problems I'll go for a new one. Interesting instructions for removal and fitting also on the website. I pretty much used the same method as theirs for removal but will refer to their instructions when refitting just as a cross reference. Glenn.

Archived