Re-chroming window trim, any advice?

SimonR

Hi there

i have a 1977 911s that has had this done too. Really want the chrome look. How did it all go mate? Keen to see if it worked!!!

pfitz, I never got too far at all I'm afraid ... Pulled the frame that I stripped and had a crack at polishing the scratches out, but they're too deep. I put this project aside for the moment as it'll take the car off the road for a little while and it's clearly going to cost real money to resolve. I've left the trim as it is so that I can take it for a quote at some point just haven't managed it yet. 

In terms of the proper finish, as far as I can tell chrome is the only local option, and it'll give the result I'm looking for. I looked at replacing with new and that's gonna cost more than it's worth to me ...

Thanks mate, mines peeling off a little and from what I can see that's peeled off it looks ok. You have to take the glass out don't you to get the trim off? Bloody Porsches !! This is my fourth 911 (1977 911s), first since children came along 12 years ago. I'm planning to get as informed as I can and give as much a crack as I can otherwise I just couldn't afford it!! Should be fun and frustrating along the way!

Thanks mate, mines peeling off a little and from what I can see that's peeled off it looks ok. You have to take the glass out don't you to get the trim off? Bloody Porsches !! This is my fourth 911 (1977 911s), first since children came along 12 years ago. I'm planning to get as informed as I can and give as much a crack as I can otherwise I just couldn't afford it!! Should be fun and frustrating along the way!

yes, glass has got to come out, getting the rear window out and glass out was all pretty straight forward on mine, but as per usual a lot depends on the condition of the screws/bolts. Everything I take out gets the fasteners cleaned up and put back in with anti-seize so there are no issues down the track. The screws that hold the trim together keeping the glass in are tiny, so make sure you take them out somewhere that you can't easily lose them. Haven't taken the windows out of the doors so can't help with that one I'm afraid! 

I'm in the same boat -- have to do as much as I can myself, but I'm enjoying it so far. Haven't broken anything not easily replaceable yet.

So far I've: rebuilt the pedal cluster and shifter, replaced all the shifter bushes including the coupler; replaced the turn signal stalk; ran new oil lines (one of which I had to cut off); bit of new fuel line; took off the whale tail; refurbed my Fuchs to RS finish; replaced the oil cooler seals; and lots and lots of cleaning. 

My previous mechanical experience was rebuilding the carb on my Vespa. Lots of resources out there, and most of it is pretty straight forward. The scariest part is the starting. 

Oh, and mine's my daily driver so I'm trying to keep things to what I can get done on the weekends in between chores and kids ...

Anyone new to polishing, please note,Never ever touch the wheel with what you are polishing above the centerline of your polishing wheel. If it grabs above the centreline it can kill you, or worse still bend the shit out of your rare piece of metal on your face. Whereas if you are using the underside of the wheel it will at worst pull the piece away from you, smash into the wall behind your polisher and cut your fingers off. 

Archived