Buying a 911 with engine swapped, NSW rego experiences

Hi Guys,

I've got my eye on a hotrod 911 as a project.

It has been registered in QLD previously, but has an engine swap (increased displacement) and no documented engineers report.

I'm in NSW and need to know if this is going to be an issue for me.  I don't particularly want to pay for an engineering report, as it will blow the project budget, or end up with a car I can't register at the end of the project.

Anyone have any experience with registering a car with an engine swap in NSW?  If I have QLD rego papers with the swapped engine number should I just sail through the blue slip process, or is this going to be an issue for me?

Regards,

Pete

My knowledge is limited to what I have heard, and from many years ago.

In NSW in the case of an engine swap of greater displacement an engineer report is necessary only if the later is more than 1/3 greater than the original displacement or from another origin ie manufacturer.

I would think any shop that issues blue slips in NSW could inform you correctly.

Google is your friend http://studentweb.usq.edu.au/home/q1121625/NSW%20vehicle%20guide%20lines/vsi06.pdf

Owner certified minor modifications are generally those modifications which were optional equipment
for the vehicle concerned. Owner certified modifications also include some non-standard modifications
of a minor nature which do not affect the level of safety, strength or reliability of vital systems such as
brakes and steering. These modifications have little or no impact upon the vehicle’s level of compliance
with the Australian Design Rules.
Examples of minor (owner certified) modifications are:
• engine changes where the capacity increase is less than 15% above the maximum size engine
available for the vehicle (providing no major structural modifications are necessary and where
noise and/or exhaust emission ADRs apply, all standard equipment such as carburettors, exhaust
systems, exhaust gas recirculating valves, oxygen sensors and catalytic convertors relating to
noise and emission control are retained and operate correctly);
• the fitting of a proprietary sunroof (if the modifications are of a minor nature only);
• fitting a “package” available as optional equipment for the vehicle (eg front disc brakes, power
steering, alternative transmission and bucket or bench seats);
• additional lighting eg: fog & driving lights;
• alternative wheels and tyres within the owner certified limits set by the Authority (see Vehicle
Standards Information Sheet No. 9 Guidelines for Alternative Wheels & Tyres);
• fitting of handling enhancing suspension components such as roll stabiliser bars and up-rated
shock absorbers.
Major modifications which fall outside the category of minor (owner certified) modifications, require
submission of certification by an engineering signatory. This is usually in the form of an “engineering
certificate” prepared by the signatory. The original of this certificate is generally required to be
submitted to the RTA for notification of the modifications or for registration of the vehicle. 

Replacement engine
There are set engine capacity limits for a modified passenger car or passenger car derivative and these
are set out in the table below. Owners should note that an engine might not be suitable even though it’s
capacity falls within the specified limits. Owners are therefore advised to check details of a proposed
engine conversion with an engineering signatory before commencing the work.

(see table below)

Archived