Electrical Gremlins

Dusty

After advice on whether I should embark on de-tangling the birds nest which is my fuse box (in a 78' 911sc). My knowledge of all things electrical is limited bar the basics from grade 10 but I'm wondering how hard cant it be? 

The problem lies only with the power windows, at first look the fuse was missing but after trying to replace it twice and blowing both fuses, it's obvious there's a short in the circuit somewhere. It's probably more apparent when you take a look at what lay around no 21:

8787ED8F-6D03-4DD3-B116-4F591E254BA7_zps

Normally I'd just go for it and learn along the way but the car has an aftermarket immobilizer and god only knows what else is attached especially those two black boxes in the foreground.

So I suppose what I'm asking is, has anyone just had a crack at deciphering something like this and come out the other side and could anyone possibly know what these two black boxes are? I've got a basic multi-meter, spare fuses and rubber soled shoes...

Apologies to everyone who clicked here - False alarm... 

After some more contemplating and some brand new fuses, it's now all working. 

My original troubles appear to be from using the very old 25 amp spare fuses that came with the car, and me thinking they'd be sufficient. After seeing sparks fly from 2 of them right in my very hands, I was adamant there was a short somewhere in the system, especially seeing the state of the fuse box. Anyway, I bought a fresh supply of fuses in my travels today and thought I'd give it one more go... it worked! 

Still want to clean up this fuse box but now it can go to the back of my project list. Happy days indeed!

Apologies to everyone who clicked here - False alarm... 

After some more contemplating and some brand new fuses, it's now all working. 

My original troubles appear to be from using the very old 25 amp spare fuses that came with the car, and me thinking they'd be sufficient. After seeing sparks fly from 2 of them right in my very hands, I was adamant there was a short somewhere in the system, especially seeing the state of the fuse box. Anyway, I bought a fresh supply of fuses in my travels today and thought I'd give it one more go... it worked! 

Still want to clean up this fuse box but now it can go to the back of my project list. Happy days indeed!

Dusty,

Just a word of advice from an old sparkie, working with DC is very different to normal AC, it is very easy to start an electrical fire & very difficult to stop once a fire starts in your wiring. Auto electrics is best left to someone with some knowledge at least, very easy to do more damage than good work. Hope this helps.

While that's good advice, I'd add that learning some diagnostics and basic problem solving and getting a good multimeter can get you a long way in front. I don't hack up looms, but I do learn what is going on by testing and then asking educated questions.

The good thing about electrics is that, generally, if left alone, they are pretty reliable. But if you do have problems in a loom, get the help of a reputable auto elec. but it always helps in those circumstances to be armed with a bit of knowledge.

Archived