Just repaired my clock

Stew F

The clock in our SC hasn't worked since we've had it. With our impending grand tour of Tasmania next week I thought I'd have a crack at repairing it. After a bit of research on the world wide wicked web I found that the most common problem is the capacitors failing. So I dropped into jaycar and grabbed some 100uf 16 volt electrolytic caps.

Stripping the clock of it's bezel is the most time consuming part. Take care not to wreck it when prying the rolled edge back. Put it on a plastic chopping board that has a cutout for your hand. That way the lap time knob is free of your kitchen benchtop.

Desolder the earth connection, remove the 2 brass screws and desolder the 2 old caps. Solder in the new ones, taking note of their polarity. The pcb has a minus sign printed at each location. Carefully solder them in making sure not to overheat anything. Use a heatsink if you have one handy. Put the screws back in (after confirming it works) then resolder the earth terminal. Replace glass and bezel and lightly push the rolled edge back down to lock it in place.

All back together and working a treat. Total cost - 60 cents.

Good gear!

The clock in mine seems to work. By 'work', I mean the hands move but totally fall to keep the time.

Seeing as I never look at it, I'll put it in the 'character' category along with the audio tape holder in the centre console!

As I understand it from what I read on some sites if it's not keeping time but works OK its probably the resistor. I plugged it back in and set the time and it seems to be keeping time beautifully.

I have one of those, but every time I look at the Vivaldi tape the previous owner left in there I just can't.

Its like the NTSC and pal VCRs I have in my cupboard...some av nerd must want them!

Archived