Insurance Advice, and 911 vs 944 ownership

G'day Fellas,

I'm pretty new to the forum and trying to find my first (hopefully of many) Porsches. I've been trying to find a good 944 Turbo or S2 coupe, but this is proving fairly difficult to find a good car. I have looked at 911's, but insurance cost is the problem. I need the car for my everyday driver and to throw the kids in the back for short trips to school, sport, etc.

Can anyone offer some good advice on an insurance company for a car that will be daily driven?

To also open Pandoras box, I'd appreciate some advice on 911 vs 944 as a daily driver. I'm looking at under $40,000 for my budget so this obviously lessen the amount of 911's that fit the bill.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark, as a Canberran you might like to check out NRMA insurance, especially if packaged with house and contents etc, Alternatives are Lumley Special Vehicles and Shannons. Cost comes down to risk as far as insurance companies are concerned, so price agreed (important for any Porsche),your age and driving history, garaged etc are important. Don't see why a 911 should be dearer than a 944, repair costs would be comparable. As an ex canberran, I used my 911 there every day, so as long as you have small kids - no problems. If you want some versatility though, I'd go the S2. having said that there is a 911 (altered bumpers!!) for sale on the Porsche Club Canberra site in your price range - been there for quite a while. By the way got my 911 at a Wheels day in Canberra, cars often become "for sale" if you,ve got the cash in hand.

Good Luck

Paul M

You might want to try Shannons,

I pay, I think, $1200 a year, limited Kms, 28 years old, rating 1, agreed value of 70K.

Shannons are awesome I think, great guys and they actually love talking cars, insurance aint insurance...

I have a Golf GTI too, I put it on the policy and I think it's about $800.

If I were to choose a daily driver, 911 or 944, I would choose the GTI anyday ;).

Paul and Spence, thanks for your replies.

The cheapest I've found is Allianz (who underwrite Shannons I'm pretty sure?) who will insure the 944 turbo for $500, but will not insure a 911. I tried NRMA and Shannons both about $1200 for a 911. I am 40 years old and have a 65% NCB.

The GTI is a really good car, but the wife has said one car and one bike (which is pretty fair). I love the Hayabusa too much to sell it, so if I want a Porsche it will need to be my daily driver. Canberra is a pretty open and easy place to drive around so it should be fine.

Thanks Paul,I looked at the Porsche Club Canberra site 911 but I'm after the earlier look on the 911 (whale tail, etc).

Cheers,

Mark

Hey Mark,

Don't finalise the process without getting a quote from Lumley's. I moved from Shannon's to Lum's and the price difference was around two thirds - same for same. Car can't be a daily driver, and they're not all that interested in new cars, but well worth a call.

Kerry

Hi all,

Lumley is good. I don't think any normal car insurance company (RACV, Just Cars.. etc) can top that.

Youi still try to call me every day. Their sales left a message on my mobile, "Ignore the quote online, I can bring the price down a little bit for you."

Youi quote me $2600 for my 993.

I don't even bother return the call.

Lumley Rocks!!! (32 Years old, Rating 1, $1050 :D )

David

Archived