tip transmission fluid. is it low?

ByronBayChris

I'd like to find the level of my tranny fluid, as it appears it has an incontinence issue.

I found this on pelican, and would like some feedback. Also, can I check the level?

==

What are the symptoms of low automatic transmission fluid? I experienced this when I purchased a car with a known transmission problem. When the car was stopped suddenly via the brakes and then the accelerator was immediately pressed, the transmission would slip, and then slam into gear, lurching the car forward. I had a strong suspicion that the transmission was low on fluid. A thorough inspection of the car showed the remnants of significant leakage of transmission fluid.

What causes this symptom with the transmission? Well, when you slam on the brakes, all of the fluid in the transmission flows to the front of the car and away from the fluid pickup, which is located toward the rear of the transmission. With the fluid at the front of the car, the transmission loses fluid for a very short while. Automatic transmissions use the fluid both as a hydraulic fluid and a coolant—they won’t work if there isn’t any fluid running through them. After the car has stopped and the fluid has moved back toward the pickup, the transmission began to work normally. If the transmission had the proper levels of fluid, then this condition would not occur. Needless to say, after I replaced the transmission fluid and checked the levels, the problem disappeared. The previous owner had let it run down about two quarts low (the Carrera transmission takes about 10 quarts, with about four quarts replaceable during a fluid change). Driving for any more time with the transmission in this state would have led to substantial damage and could have resulted in a wrecked tranny (replacement cost: $2,500 or so).

From http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Porsche-996-997-Carrera/35-TRANS-Replacing_Your_Automatic_Transmission_Fluid/35-TRANS-Replacing_Your_Automatic_Transmission_Fluid.htm

Chris,

It's simpler on a 993 because there is sight glass on the side of the transmission to give an approximate level at 30 degrees C and the "proper" level at 80 degrees.

As for a leak source mine was leaking from the quick fill adapter cover. All it took was a nip up with a spanner to fix.

Archived