Targa leakage

PeterP

Folks,

Whilst my mind still says coupe, I have to say I am starting to consider a Targe given the limited number of "good" coupes about at present. I have missed couple of good ones, and had a dealer in sydney mention a 89 targa that may come on the market soon.

My first comment was don't they leak, and the response was Yes, to a certain extent (not that it will likely see the rain, let alone more than 3 5ths cloud cover)

however, it got me thinking, if these thinks are so prone to leakage, why has there not been a fix? Or if there has, can someone tell me what that may be?

thanks

Peter :D

Hi Peter

I have a 90' Targa and it leaks a drop here and there, but only when it is stationary. When under way there is no sign of a leak at all.

There are new gasket seals available on ebay from Porsche parts suppliers in the US, UK and Germany.

My Targa roof leaks are not worth worrying about, after all its only water... I won't let it dampen my enthusiasm!

Frank

Hi Pete

I have to kinda agree with Frank, mine is a '76 and even with only three of the four latches actually working and seals dried up like 35 year old cardboard she doen't leak...and yes i try not to get her wet but she has seen some pretty heavy rains on the road...and not a drop...i have only seen water on the inside once and thats because i didn't have the passenger door window all the way up and pressure from hose a few drops snuck in. IMHO people who say targas leak, yes i had them and the people who say convertibles leak, yes i had them when I had a convertible, are only jealous of our passion. I can 110% say that all those negative comments come from those that had never owned a targa or connie and that anyone who had has never commented on water problems. Go for it mate, and if it is so, its nothing a little adjustment and a piece of new rubber can't fix.

Pete

Having just got an 84 Targa, and having driven in the rain, I havent had too much drama.

I also wanted a coupe but found a good one hard to come by, let alone find any good mid 80's car that wasnt converted from LHD, had aircon or anything else I was after. As I wasnt strictly after a car for driving hard but a weekend cruiser, and an occasional track day, the Targa is the ultimate choice. You wont be dissapointed!

Archived