I want to be able to connect a computer to the following cars, and not have to get different software and cables if possible.

1994 Porsche 911 with round socket

2008 Mercedes R Class 

2009 VW Passat

Who has a good solution ?

Also, I can't find the OBD port in the 72 anywhere - can someone point me in the right direction </sarcasm>

I have the OBD ! ( round plug) running the Scantool free software.

The Bosch hammer is becoming increasingly scarce and expensive- less the laptop I think my Scantool cost less than $199

For the 911 there is a guy on Pelican that has the PST2 software running on a Bosch KTS500 (which is meant to be technically impossible - but it's Windows CE/Embedded edition so should be easy enough) You'd be spending over a thousand bucks to get this sorta setup. There are the generic cables + software on ebay available too (I've got a copy of the software, it's like a chinese copy of Durametric with an english overlay)

The PIWIS "systems" you can buy second hand are sometimes reverse engineered copies running on Windows XP. The longevity of the laptops they're attached to is a big detractor for me (with all the 'Reduction of Hazardous Substances' (ROHS) where they took Tin/Lead and everything good out of solder they end up with dry connections after a while) I'm working on a solution for this but it's a long term project. There's PCMCIA interconnects involved too

As for the VW you probably will need VAGcomm (or whatever the current version is called) to get all the features, and i assume the same the same with Mercedes. Uncle torrence might be able to help you

To get a 'one size fits all' solution, something like the Durametric or the other generic 'OBD II compatible scan tools' will do most things and clear codes but not all the special features like key encoding and some of the comfort features (or dealer only changes)

The main hurdle with later model cars is you need a code from the manufacturer to access a lot of the special 'dealer only' features, and they won't give them out at all (they'd be giving away their license to print money... :/)

There's a good history of the Porsche diagnostic tools here:

http://www.durametric.com/historyofporschediagnostics.aspx

I think a few people on here have Durametric systems so should be able to give you some feedback on them

Archived